Gougeon 32 catamaran

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by rapscallion, Jul 11, 2011.

1. rapscallion

rapscallion Senior Member

After watching the promo video of the Gougeon 32 catamaran I have to say that boat is pretty damn clever, and with a PHRF rating of 21, the boat has to be fast as well.

If I could find one for sale I would buy it; but with only 14 in existence, I'm not going to hold my breath. Are there any home build designs out there that are similar to the G-32?

I know of the Jarcat and the Ecocat, I was thinking of something a bit larger.

2. cavalier mk2

cavalier mk2 Senior Member

If you find out, let us know how they built the roller furling for the main. I've got a ancient Scottish unit I use for going past the second reef. Its strong but the gearing is slooow and it requires standing at the mast.

3. rapscallion

sure,

The rig on the G32 is pretty interesting. It cants sideways so the boat can be righted at sea. Another source of info on a roller furling boom is the designer of the L7 trimaran. The rig for the L7 also has a roller furling boom.

4. basil

basil Senior Member

Isn't it the same system used by Farrier on his tri's?

5. Steve W

Steve W Senior Member

The roller booms that they have been using for years use a large diameter home made line drive drum at the gooseneck that use a bunch of clam cleats sandwiched between a couple of discs of plywood or other sheet material,i believe they use small spinnaker pole end fittings for the gooseneck,the tube is just round tube and they build up the diameter at the outer end to encourage the sail to move forward as the sail rolls up so that the full length battens stack uo against the discs, nice and simple and must work well as they have been using these booms for 40yrs on all their boats while everyone has been grumbling how roller reefing dosnt work and you must use slab reefing. I am going to build something similar for my Lindenberg 26 but will probably use a shaft thru the mast with a socket for a winch handle on the front to get the bolt rope closer to the mast track on t he standard mast, the Gougeons mostly use homegrown wingmasts and the track may be further aft. I plan on using a prefeeder and entering the track a lot further up than it currently is to create a fairer lead into the mast. As has already been mentioned, Corsair has been using roller reefing/furling since day one.
    Steve.

6. Steve W

Steve W Senior Member

Rapps,i think Roger Simpson had a design for a 8ft 6" beam x 24ft cat like a big Jarcat, not sure if the plans are available though since he stopped designing.
    Steve.

7. cavalier mk2

cavalier mk2 Senior Member

Thanks Steve, my furler does the job well but not quickly, I'll start playing with the idea. The 32 is a great boat but must have been expensive because of the low quantities. Hard to sell to the masses and a bit ahead of its time. Maybe they should try again.

8. redreuben

redreuben redreuben

9. Steve W

Steve W Senior Member

I dont see all of simpsons boats listed on the boatcraft site,the one im thinking of was not in his catalog but in a supplement so maybe it was not a completed design.
    Steve.

10. redreuben

redreuben redreuben

11. rapscallion

12. rapscallion

13. redreuben

redreuben redreuben

Mmm, no pics for me ?

14. rapscallion

15. redreuben

redreuben redreuben

Got it ! WEIRD !
    RR

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.