Another FreeShip Question

Discussion in 'Software' started by jprev, Mar 27, 2006.

1. jprev

jprev Junior Member

How would I add a separate surface plane to FreeShip? I would like to add floors at different levels inside the hull. I know how to extrude a boundary edge but I can't seem to find anything that will let me add a horizontal plane, say 6" above the waterline. Is this possible?

Thanks,

Joe

2. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

Best way that I can figure is to extrude the sheer like you are going to make a deck...but only an inch or so. Then extrude again and delete the inch. Creat points at the level where you want your floor and note the y and z coords. Move your floor down to the correct level and shape it to match your hull using the z coords then zero out the y on the centerline so it will match the centerline of the hull. Kind of a roundabout way of doing it but far as I know...the only one.

Steve

3. jam007

jam007 Junior Member

FreeShip only uses 2D-surfaces. One surface can not be split in two. Therefore you have to treat inner and outer surface of the hull as separate surfaces. Either use "lewisboats" method or create an inner hull+deck continuation of the hull surface.
    "Think like a painter not a carpenter" might be a FreeShip saying ;)

Anders M

4. jprev

jprev Junior Member

Thanks! I'll give that a shot.

Joe

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.