Another boatbuilding project

Discussion in 'Projects & Proposals' started by Skovian, Nov 4, 2010.

1. Skovian

Skovian Junior Member

You know, I thought I was the first to think of something like this, but Franklins kind of beat me to it.

Carolina flare sportfishers are one of the prettiest things ever to grace the surface of the water to my way of thinking. There aren't many plans to build this type of boat but I want to change that.

I recently registered a domain, www.opensportfisher.org. The purpose of this is to have a forum where plans for this type of boat are freely available for download to anyone who wants them. Anyone can use them to build one of these types of sport fishing boats.

At this time, there is not much content. There's just a forum with a DelftShip file and some questions. As these questions get answered I will make drawings that will help clarify the construction process. I don't have any CAD software or experience, but I'm good at things like MS Paint and GIMP.

Once sufficient data exists, and probably not before next spring, I plan to start construction and thoroughly document the process. I will post those pictures to the opensportfisher.org forum so that people can see what the finished product will look like.

I hope that some of you will want to visit the forum and give your advice.

Thank you,

Michael

2. Skovian

Skovian Junior Member

Hey Everybody,

I have a little content up now. I'm serious about doing something from which we all can benefit.

Thanks for your input,

Michael

3. GIMike

GIMike Junior Member

You said you were going to start work this spring, it's now summer, did you start building and if so, how's it going?

4. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Its just another dream like so many others !!
    Boating people are the worst dreamers on the planet . :eek:

5. Ike

Ike Senior Member

I don't think much of your disclaimer. If someone builds to your design you are still liable even though you say you aren't. So if it were my site I would just leave that out. In fact in some states you have to be a licensed PE to design boats.

6. CgarciaDesign

CgarciaDesign Junior Member

Any better hobby to have ?

I applaud your effort Mike, and look forward to seeing the progress. There will be some that see the negatives...but I hope you continue to the positive in the build that will carry the effort. Any project will have challenges but that is part of the fun. :)

7. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

This really is a good idea. Everything else can be done open source, why not a small boat design?

8. Skovian

Skovian Junior Member

Hey guys

Well, It started as a dream that I thought would work out OK. However I only got meaningful input from one person. If I can get more input, then I'm definitely serious. However, I'm not going to start and build myself into a corner :) There are things I need to know before I start.

I'll consider changing the disclaimer. However I have downloaded some free kayak plans in the past that had such a disclaimer.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Michael

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.