Help with design and more.

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Paulina, Dec 4, 2007.

1. Paulina

Paulina New Member

Hi ,

Iam a 17 year old girl from sweden doing my special project in High school. I am designing a sailingboat. The boat is a 3 persons keelboat for ladies.
    If you have any tip you are welcome.

I also need facts about water-streaming, and the developing of the sailingboat. If you know a good website please send a link.

/ Paulina

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Paulina,
    (1) Welcome to boatdesign.net.
    (2) If you're interested in learning how to work through the entire sailboat design process, you're going to want some books. One that comes to mind is "Principles of Yacht Design" by Larsson & Eliasson, it is a well written, easily readable book that still manages to include all the necessary math to make the thing work (and doesn't cost a fortune like most textbooks do). (Other folks will no doubt chime in with their own favourite books.)
    (3) The popular Freeship/Delftship software is the de facto standard for amateur designers to sketch up their ideas in 3D. Use the "Search" box on the forum to find hundreds of tips on its use.

3. Petros

Petros Senior Member

Welcome Paulina,

I am curious as to what design requirements you think should be different for a sailboat designed for women rather than for men.

What is it that you see as desirable, in terms of function or capabilities, as being more attractive to women vs. men?

That might help get you better feed back.

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I can think of several items that would need attention for a woman's point of view aboard a sailboat. Winch gear ratios, equipment heights, increased leverage in the tackle, etc. Much of this would revolve around ergonomics and mechanical advantage, I would suspect.

Since yacht design is a pretty involved set of subjects, you'd be well advised to pattern your first attempts around a well known example of good sailing, three person, keel boat. Frankly, this is how the rest of us learned, though the study of examples, exhibiting the features and performance envelope we desire, in a similar size yacht.

5. Petros

Petros Senior Member

I am sure that we call can come up with what WE think is a good boat for ladies, I want to know what exactly Paulina was thinking makes a good boat for ladies.

Also Paulina, what length were you thinking of? And is this a deep water sailboat for long distance travel, or a day sailer? Please tell us more about what you had in mind.

6. gee16

gee16 New Member

Hy!

I'm a 16 years old boy from Hungary, and I'd like to be a sailboat designer.Now I'm attending to an English bilingual high school, which schools can you suggest to me , to learn boat designing, in the UK or in the US.

Thank you and Marry X-mas to everybody!

Gergo

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.