Anode sizes

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by taniwha, Nov 10, 2013.

1. taniwha

taniwha Senior Member

Does anyone has a reference table to chose an anode size for a particular boat?

2. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Hull material, propulsion gear, sea chests, seawater or freshwater, piant system, , boat speed , service cycle ..Are all factors.

i dont know much about plastic or wood boat protection, I normaly work with metal.

Anodes provide coverage for no more than four meters of surface area. The port side anode cannot talk to the starboard side anode. Hence an anode every three or four meters , port side and starbord side.

Anodes protect the paint system as well as metallic parts.

Metalic parts , rudders shafts, props, thrusters....have thier own anodes.

Anode surface area and anode weight are not related. A large surface area paper thin anode would obviosly provide a big initial voltage but would rapidly erode.

Over anoded is just as destructive as under anoded

Zinc anodes are not made of zinc...they are an alloy formulated to constantly errode and expose fresh zinc.

After you have made your best guess for anode density and launched the boat the scientific measurement is to use a silver chloride reference cell and measure the voltage around the boat.

Google this topic for a better explanation and more insights into anodes in general.

MgDuff supplies my anodes and always answers my questions. Ask for a quote.

http://www.mgduff.co.uk/

3. taniwha

taniwha Senior Member

thanks. It sounds like the science of anode choice is very much based on trial and error method. Launch the boat and see what happens.

4. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

And for a metal boat maximium 4 meters spacing betweem anodes,

Remember.. If you miscalculate your boat will not melt and sink to the bottom of the sea. You will visually observe anode waste rate and any minor damage the first time your haul for a anti foul.

The scientific anode guys are thinking of storage tanks, drilling platforms, pipe lines , nuclear powerplants.....that must have a very long service cycle

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.