1936 Snipe Restoration

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by stephen.vincent, Oct 2, 2012.

1. stephen.vincent

stephen.vincent New Member

I just picked up a 1936 Snipe (hull number 1953) and want to get it back on the water. The boats not in bad shape, it need the decks refinished, as the caulk is coming out, and the hull has been glassed and has some blistering. The boat is mahogany on Oak frames.

My current plan is the remove the glass from the hull so I can inspect the underlying wood. I also have found a picture of the boat from the 1938 Snipe yearbook that shows the bottom painted white with the topside varnished bright.

[​IMG]

My question to the group is, if I'm going to trailer sail this boat (i.e., is will sit in the yard for 99% of its life, not in the water), I'm assuming I will not be able to traditionally caulk this boat (i.e., cotton and putty) because the seams will dry and open up. So if that is true, what is the best way to refinish the hull? Caulk with modern synthetic caulk, and then epoxy over it? Looking for input.

Steve Vincent
    Los Angeles,
    http://snipe1953.blogspot.com

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I have raced many planked wooden Snipes. They were kept on trailers and only launched before sailing them. Most of them had tight seams and didn't need swelling up. If you are going to seal the wood with epoxy, a glued wood spline at the seams will work fine.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.