Angled transomes?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by duluthboats, Mar 25, 2004.

1. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Women began influencing design before WWII and much more so since, though I have to admit the transom angle standard wasn't a styling exercise to entice them. Don't you remember all the "how to" the articles in magazines? They didn't put the "whip" it up in a weekend spin on it to build our confidence as much as convincing women the old man could get it done. I built a design from 1912 found in an old magazine as a kid in the early 60's. It was very dated, but easy to build and I thought it looked cool.

After getting back from the Mt Dora boat show this weekend has me remembering the used magazines for sale there. 1900 -1970's with the bulk in the early part of the last century. All the great designers and designs most published before the second world war.

2. captain gary

captain gary Guest

transoms

its a fact that the angel can lift or force down the bow of a vessel.thats why we have a rake angel on all vessels includeing a sail powerd vessel.on a vessel powered by outboard with a transom at 90 degrees it is necessary (most of the time depending on horsepower) to rake the motor with transome wedges.on a sail powered ,you rake the mast,on inboards you use tabs. or thats my experience .

3. David Robb

David Robb New Member

Raked Transoms

I worked with Weston Farmer, NA as his only student and came by some excellent knowledge. He was a tough teacher - wouldn't let you slide on anything which was good. Every line he drew had a reason. When it came to transoms, he told me that it had nothing to do with style until the end. In other words, first, it had to function in a way to depart the water from the hull at a specific speed. Depending on the speed/length ratio, it would be round or square. Angle was a function of what happens in a following sea. Lastly, style was considered as how the end of the boat looked when it ws terminated. You wouldn't want it to look like it was chopped off and there is no point in going on with something for the heck of it. True, racing sailboat are different for the point it waterline length and beavertail sterns are for minimizing wake in lakes and rivers. Other than that, viewed from the side, the transom is a shadow line, not a cut line and needs an artistic eye to proportion it correctly but NOT until you have taken care of the engineering and fuctional requirements first. He told me he never could figure out women.

4. duluthboats

duluthboats Senior Dreamer

David thanks for the reply. I still haven’t found the right look for my boat but I’m having fun working with it. It’s a displacement hull and will never see blue water so I’ll be a little less critical of the engineering.

It must have been very interesting working under Weston Farmer. I only know him from one book but his writing makes me smile. But it also shows his attention to detail, and self assurance, which I have seen in many great boat designers.

Gary :D