Rinker Quality

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by unikguy199, Feb 15, 2005.

1. unikguy199

unikguy199 Junior Member

Hi Everyone

I am in the process of purchasing a new rinker 312.

From research I have done, the company uses the following in their hull design:

1. Rot free wood from Inland Wood Products. Treated wood with lifetime warranty for their stringers. I believe 3/4 inch thick.
    2. Gelcoat from a company called Ferro
    3. Vinyvester resins from a company called Ashlands
    4. 20-25 mm of gelcoats
    5. The galley floor seems to be very close to the hull bottom. Which may be a problem I think.
    6. I don't even think the stringers are the full length of boat, which some tell me it could be a problem. I think they end after the aft cabinet, and then pick under the cabinets and the saloon couch.
    7. Gas tanks are standing up in back of aft cabinet.
    8. Deck to hull is joined shoe box with screws and sealant. In addition there is a strip of wood inside to which the screws are inserted to for grap.
    Screws are every 4 inch.

9. Hull is 100% fiberglass.
    10. Hull sides has coremat I believe.

I would really appreciate any thoughts and comments on such a setup.
    Being that it a big investment, I trying to get any and all information I can to ensure that the quality is good.

It is my first cruiser of such size.

Thank-you all.

2. woodboat

woodboat Senior Member

My next door neighbor has a fiesta V 330. The hull has been very good. The electrical system on the other hand has been rough to say the least. I know the A/C stopped working because of the water pump. The shower pump is stuck on and will kill the battery. It has broken down more then once with dead batteries. That problem is solved but required a little reengineering and rewiring. The alternators ran through the charges then out to the batteries. Some how the batteries wouldn't charge under power without the generator running. They had to connect the alternator directly to the batteries. At least that is what was described to me by my non-mechanic neighbor that had it repaired. He bought the baot new because he wanted to avoid "problems" Ha.

3. unikguy199

unikguy199 Junior Member

Thank-you for the info.

I will keep an eye on the eletrical systems. I wonder if it was a factory screw-up.

I am certain it was covered under warranty.

First year of operation is critical for a new boat.

4. woodboat

woodboat Senior Member

Not really a warranty issue. He has owned it four years now. He keeps it on a lift and covered. The dead battery thing has happened about four times in the past four years. The A/C was two years ago. The shower pump was last year. As far as dead batteries: The electrical was wired correctly according to the factory. The mechanic insisted that it was engineered improperly. Parts can and will break. When you are talking quality though it makes me wonder about other engineering on the boat. Now..... the mechanic could be wrong. He may have been simply miss diagnosing. What I do know though is that it has not died since he reworked the wiring.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.