Rope tied to a thimble

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Fanie, Jun 9, 2008.

1. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Hello,

How is a rope tied to a thimble so it looks neat ?

I have a couple of places I would like to use thimbles instead of just knotting...

2. charmc

charmc Senior Member

I've always spliced to my thimbles.

If you have to make a knot, I'd guess a bowline or any knot designed to remain tight under both strain and release of tension.

3. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Ok, how do you splice these ropes ?

Cables you can crimp together by using ferrules and a crimping tool. Anything like this possible with ropes ?

4. charmc

charmc Senior Member

5. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Thanks Charlie,

The rope I have is round with a core... it may not be so easy to this one.

6. deepsix

deepsix Senior Member

I presume that the rope you have is double braid. I like the new england ropes splicing guide http://www.neropes.com/SplicingGuideChoice.aspx, you can also use the samson ropes guide http://www.samsonrope.com/index.cfm?page=28. These seem very complicated at first but work through the steps its actually pretty simple. Dont worry about all the fancy tools "fids" that they say you need, just get some stainless steel siezing wire and bend it in half it works fine. Regular Galvanised wire works on larger diameter ropes(8mm and larger).

What are the lines you want to splice for?

7. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Hi Deepsix,

Looks like the double braid !

One app is the rope that pulls the daggerboards up, I have it as 10mm rope working around a pulley system between the daggerboard an the daggerboard sheeth to reduce the force you have to use to pull a board up. The rope goes round a 12mm SS bolt... with a thimble in it so it won't scarfe the rope.

8. deepsix

deepsix Senior Member

Sounds like a double braid eye splice is the correct splice. They are one of the more tricky splices to do but its just takes a little practise. You can try removing some cover from the end of the rope. The core is usually 12 strand braid, so you do a mobius brummel eye splice in the end of the core(very simple) and then bury the cover just before the splice. The racers often remove the cover on part of their sheets to make them lighter. You will reduce the breaking load of the line because the cover does take some load.

My trunk/sleeve/sheath what ever you call it, is a cored fiberglass. There is no core in a narrow section in the middle to make a channel that the lines run in. I just drilled a hole through the case and tied a stopper knot on the outside. You could stick a piece of allu on to the glass, drill the hole and then file the hole smooth so it does not chafe.

9. Meanz Beanz

Meanz Beanz Boom Doom Gloom Boom

10. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Fixed up ! Thanks everyone, I have enough documentation on splicing to keep me busy for a year... :D

11. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Personally the place your talking abut Fnie I'd use wire, splice it if you want, or chat the modern way (modern sailors CAN'T splce worth a ****) and use ferrules or that bigger abomination - the bulldog grip!! At least that way you can tighten up occasionally! but hey so it use a fouging big knot!! Works on parcels!!

12. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

On centreboard/dagger boards, use Dyneema braidline, thin and exceptionally strong, very durable if spliced around a decent thimble. The poly cover is immaterial to the strength of this stuff really.

Safewalrus, modern sailors splice far better than the "olde fellas", really, try giving a plaited rope of over 16 strands to an old salt to splice, he will say impossible....I am "only" 59, and can splice anything that I have ever seen, albiet some are very difficult. Wire splices of old were simple compared to fine braidline of today...try it! Sisal, hemp and cotton lines are a snack by comparison, unless the bloody cotton is tight wound and full of dried salt, then you have a problem, almost becomes a wire splice then eh!

13. charmc

charmc Senior Member

Speak for thyself, oh huge and ugly sea creature! :D :D

I've never purchased a "docking line" or "anchor rode". Always bought bulk line and made my own. Tapered them also, so no loose ends flapping like the pre-made "dock lines".

Judging by deepsix's and Landlubber's posts, I'm not unique.

Well, according to a few folks I am unique (thankfully, they say), but not because of any splicing skills. :D :D

14. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Of course you are unique Charlie, just like everyone else :D

15. Meanz Beanz

Meanz Beanz Boom Doom Gloom Boom

I dunno I figured he meant the splices I've been doing most my life are some how not up to scratch. I've never lost one and they look good to me, not as fancy as some of the work bored sailors at sea come up with but then I have a life as well :D

I never tried a wire to rope splice.... but they went and invented spectra so I ditched all the wire anyway :D

I'm an individual!