And *another* new guy...

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by RipSlider, Jul 16, 2008.

1. RipSlider

RipSlider Junior Member

Hello all.

Another new chap joining the forum.

Due to having a wife who has a constant demand for new shoes, handbags and new kitchens, I've never actually managed to get around to owning a full sized boat - although I've spent a few years sailing other peoples!

However, as a hobby I build model boats - which is a poorish substitute but mercifully more light on the wallet.

At the moment I'm researching how to build a very fast powerboat. I've been doing a lot of reading, and right now, it would seem that a lot of the design in the model powerboat arena is based on "yeah....that "looks" like it'll go quick" rather than a lot of science and engineering.

So, in order to produce something that goes quick, I'm in the middle of teaching myself a crash course in boat design and hydrodymanics. I'm really working from first principles, because I've never studied this area before, but my maths and physics is pretty good, so it's going OK at the moment.

I'm now at a point where I have all sorts of issues and questions that I'm either stuck on or confused over.

Therefore, please accept my apologies in advance if I end up askin some stupid questions - I'll try my best not to be *too* annoying.

Steve

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Well, Steve, you've come to the right place :)

There are no stupid questions. (There are, of course, questions that have been asked and answered already, so you may find the "Search" feature useful..... OK, it doesn't work as well as many would like it to, so if you get frustrated searching the forum, just use Google in "Advanced" mode and restrict to the boatdesign.net domain.)

We have a few modellers on here; while we don't have a dedicated subforum for models, the subject does come up all over the place. The issue of scaling from large to small, or vice versa, is one that comes up a lot in boat design and some of our members have a fair bit of expertise in this area that they may be willing to share.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.