Ancient Voyagers and Sunken Cities: Evidence

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Yobarnacle, May 29, 2020.

1. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Enough for a rabbit ears antenna! Yahoo, I'm in!

2. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

Poke fun at secret societies at your peril. Since membership is secret, there may be members in powerful positions to hamper your endeavors!

3. Yobarnacle

4. hoytedow

Yep. Kennewick Man is the one to which I was referring.

5. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

If Yobarnacle stops posting, you know what happened.

6. hoytedow

Yep. Einstein knew too much and now he's gone.

7. Ike

Ike Senior Member

And what about the chickens and sweet potatos? Chickens that are native to polynesia and asia were found to be in pre-columbian south america, and sweet potatos native to South America have been cultivated and raised in polynesia and Asia for hundreds of years before columbus. So how about those chickens? Was The Colonel around back then? Chicken DNA Challenges Theory That Polynesians Beat Europeans to Americas https://www.nationalgeographic.com/news/2014/3/140318-polynesian-chickens-pacific-migration-america-science/

8. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The main flaw in most theories by academics, is that they live indoors too much. They can't envision what people can do with a small boat, or simply walking. Lynne Cox swam between islands in the Bearing Sea, crossed the English channel and the Straight of Magellan among other cold water crossings.

9. Ike

Ike Senior Member

There are a lot of supposedly unexplained discoveries that pre-date the Bering Sea bridge theory. As you said, it's amazing what can be accomplished. One person crossed the Atlantic in 10 foot boat! Anyone who gets driven offshore near Japan and drifts with the Japanese current ends up off the Coast of North America. So there could have been lots of interactions long before Columbus, the Vikings and even the supposed voyage by the Chinese in 1421. Indigenous peoples in the Americas have long had stories of white bearded strangers showing up on their shores after violent storms. Going away from the Americas, the Silk road existed for a thousand years before Marco Polo. People traveled. They just didn't leave written records.

10. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The Basque fished off what is now eastern Canada for centuries. There are shipping insurance records documenting it. However, for them it was simply a good fishing and whaling area, with free wood to boil blubber.

11. Will Gilmore

Will Gilmore Senior Member

I did a tour of the Galapagos where they have the Galapagos tortoise, the flightless cormorant and the Galapagos marine iguana.

Me: "Why can't these cormorants fly?"
    Naturalist: "They have no need to fly, and if an evolutionary attribute is not necessary, it goes away."

"The Galapagos tortoise is closely related to the South American tortoise; how did their ancestors get to the Galapagos?"
    Naturalist: "It is believed a storm blew a population of them here from the mainland."
    Me: "Has anyone ever reported finding a giant land tortoise floating out in the ocean, blown from the land by a storm?"
    Naturalist: "No."

Me: "No other iguana dives and feeds from underwater algae and seaweed?"
    Naturalist: "That's right."

"Iguana is a food in Latin America, right?"
    Naturalist: "Yes."

"And you say there is no evidence of people visiting these islands before the HMS Beagle?"
    Naturalist: "That's right. It is why there is no fear of man in the animals of the Galapagos."

Ok, breaking this down, from my way of thinking:
    A species of cormorant, a seabird, for whom I can see no survival advantage to the loss of flight has been discovered by a European who is destined to become the single most important person in modern biology, has lost its ability to fly while living on a group of islands. Add to that the well known ancient tradition of using cormorants to fish with and the well established and refined techniques of selective breeding that has given us the butterfly koi, the Pekinese dog, and draft horses, and you have an interesting idea.
    Now take a giant land tortoise that shouldn't be on a remote group of islands and an iguana that specializes in marine-based food, on an isolated group of tropical islands where three major ocean currents come together, and I, at least, get evidence of an ancient culture of seafaring explorers.

If you were going to set out on the ocean to trade or explore or pillage and plunder, and basically live on a body of water such as the Pacific Ocean, and you didn't have refrigeration or electricity, wouldn't you bring along foods that were high in nutrition and low in maintenance. Foods that could fish for you or required little in the way of resources to keep it fresh. That's what I saw when touring the eco-system of the Galapagos.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
  12. Ike

Ike Senior Member

It's a well known established fact that turtles were often used by sailing ships as a source of food. Turtles can survive for a very long time without food or water, so sailors would toss them in the hold, and weeks, sometimes months, later take them out and make turtle soup or whatever out of them. The Galapagos turtle was a particular favorite but any sea turtle would do. No reason to think that ancient seafarers wouldn't do the same.

The conclusion is that ancient seafarers could have brought turtles there and left them to breed as a source of food. People have been fishing off the west coast of South America (a main source of tuna) for centuries. The Galapagos are very near to the prime fishing spots.

13. Yobarnacle

All excellent posts gentlemen.
    Here is another enigma indicating preColumbian travel between New world and the Old world.
    For five hundred years it has been taught Columbus crew brought syphilis from America to Europe.
    Debunked. Syphlitic skeletons found in Greece from 600 BC and in bones in Pompeii, and in skeletons died in 1350s in England.. Also written records of early medicines and treatments for syphilis in roman times. So who gave it to who? I don't care. What's interesting to me, is evidence of antique connections between the continents! Where ever it began, it migrated across the world before Columbus.

14. Yobarnacle

A secret is no longer a secret if more than one person knows it.
    If I belong to a secret society, and I am not admitting I do, but if I did, the total membership would be ONE!

Hoyt, my brother. Don't equate me with Einstein even remotely. I am not a genius.
    Besides, when Einstein was asked what it was like to be the smartest man in the world?
    He replied, "I wouldn't know. Ask Tesla!"
    Tesla is also no longer with us.

15. Will Gilmore

Will Gilmore Senior Member

Perhaps everyone is a member, but no one will tell anyone so nobody knows they aren't the only one. Anyone willing to tell all of us the truth?

-Will (Dragonfly)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.