Ancient history

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by kenJ, Jan 12, 2006.

1. kenJ

kenJ Senior Member

I don't remember all the details, hoping someone here might.

Back in the early 1960's my uncle, Bill Sangster, built a 28ft sloop in his carport in Santa Barbara, Ca. It had a full keel with attached rudder. Tiller steering, inboard engine. He made a deal with a boat builder. It was either he would design a boat for them or pay for the making of the mold of an existing design if he and a friend got the first 2 hulls out of the mold.

My uncle passed away several years ago and I've lost track of the rest of his family. Any details that anybody has concering the type of boat or the real story would be greatly appreciated. I have fond memories of my only sail in "Heather" in the summer of 1970.

2. D'ARTOIS

D'ARTOIS Senior Member

Ken, the name Sangster and a boats name "Heather" somewhere sounds a loud bell. I hope that my memory helps to put all pieces in place - if that happens, I can tell more.

3. kenJ

kenJ Senior Member

More info

I think Heather stayed in Santa Barbara until the '80s. My uncle then moved to the Victoria, British Columbia area. He was born in Perth Scotland, moved to the states after WW2 (but never lost his accent), was an engineer in the aerospace industry, mechanical I think. He was one of the first to specialize in stress determination. Travel, photography and sailing were his favorite hobbies.

Hope this helps

Ken

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.