Anchoring in heavy conditions

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Patrick BLOSSE, Nov 1, 2013.

1. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Well...ive never used one. And i do alot of anchoring.

A snubber can be valuable at keeping chain noise from ruining your sleep..but i like the chain noise, i instantly can sense when the anchor is dragging.

For heavy weather I see no advantage.

Dump all your chain..maximum scope, then stand watch

2. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

Michael has some good points, but I don't agree with him about needing multiple anchors. Modern ones like the Ronca, or Manson Supreme are so much better than the anchors of even 30 years ago that they are superior in all bottoms.

Saying you need a second anchor for when you swing just adds complexity to a system where it doesn't need to be. Having a larger primary anchor that sets and reset quickly in my eyes is better than a second anchor you have to carry around with you doing nothing.

I would always carry a small brest/kedge anchor, but these have little to do with heavy weather conditions, and a lot to do with controlling your stern in mild conditions.

3. michael pierzga

A typical double anchor routine is stern too the dock. You will have your transom and rudder inches from the dock. No movement or slippage is permitted. Your stern lines are bar tight.

The bahamian moor is another. This moor style is for anchoring between two islands were the current will change and your boat will swing around 180 degrees.

You may choose not to sail with two anchors on the stem head, but you must design the stem head to handle two anchor rodes. I need two anchors often.

Probably the most elegant stem head fitting was drawn by S and S and used on the swans.
    Well worth looking at . It might be included in the publicly avaible " type plans" on thier website.

4. michael pierzga

And with anchors. Those modern anchors are good but since they dont have an articulating stock like the CQR they walk thru the bottom as the boat tacks and the shape of the flukes grabs rocks

When an anchor walks it picks up anything in its way.

I currently use a bruce and often when i break free and reset , the anchor with have a twenty kilo rock in its teeth that must be removed before reset
    I have never grabbed a rock in the flukes of a cqr

Very good anchor...

5. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

I would point out that the Bruce has less than half the holding power of a modern SHHP anchored the same size.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.