Anchor Windlasses Opinions please

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by MikeJohns, May 25, 2006.

1. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

Interested in the prejudiced experiences of windlass users ......... which ones are lemons and which are magnificent machines .

I always liked the Simpson Lawrence 555 Manual winch, they finally just stopped producing it.... shame.

2. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Depends what you use it for, size of boat and if it's powered or not! for preference I would always get the biggest powered beast I could, with an oversize 'drum end' to suit! I'll do wonders when shifting around either the boat or anything else 9like all things you must know what your doing - especially if it ain't at the front and you start using blocks and the like to shift leads!

The hand cranked job is all well and good for lifting the anchor but aint much use for anything else! For the Make I'd go with Mike - Simpson Lawrence are brilliant, but powered every time I think! You know it makes sense!