Building my first boat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Guest, Jun 19, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Hi all,I have just come across this site by accident. I don,t know if the majority of members are pro,s or amateurs, but you provide some interesting topics and helpful answers. I have always longed to build my own yacht, about 26ft. A maintenance fitter by trade and very handy with all aspects of tools. A massive garden with a 26ft garage. I have looked at various ad,s for plans, but do they all cost between £200/£400. Obviously a lot of work goes into designing a boat, i am not disputing that. Are there any cheaper designs on the market. Thankyou (I think it would be a good idea to register, as I see myself using this site a lot)

2. Bill the Cat

Bill the Cat Junior Member

Once you start on the project - the $300 to $600 will seem like the least of your expenses if you're looking to a contemporary design and modern building methods.

But....if you're willing to step back a few decades - look to the older plans of an Atkin or Herreshoff - might find just what you want in the library. Now you'll get plans/dimensions etc. but no "how to". So off the library again or down to the boatyard or off to the web.

Might look at www.devlinboat.com or www.cmdboats.com for modern plans a bit low than your starting price. I don't know exactly what you're looking for in a yacht.

Good Luck
    Dave

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The price may be high or low, depending on what you get. Some plans have only lines with no construction details. For a beginner, a plan with a lot of details is the best. If not, you'll find yourself spending a lot of time and money trying to get the missing information from books and other sources.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Bill the Cat & Gonzo

Thanks for the advice lads, much appreciated.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.