Anchor Locker Guidelines or Standards?

Discussion in 'Class Societies' started by Mat-C, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Mat-C

Mat-C Senior Member

I was just wondering if there are any standards / guidelines on the design / configuration of self-draining anchor lockers?
    I've done a bit of a Google and the only thing I could come up with was the ABYC H4, which covers ground tackle etc... not sure if it also covers the design of the lockers, as I don't have access to to the full text.

2. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Secured against 360 degree roll. Both the chain box and the chain,

Modern lockers are all fiberglass . The shape is that of a tall narrow pyramid with its top cut off. Make the chain box as big as possible. A small box that must be supervised when the chain is loaded is a pain in the ***.

The actual scantlings of the box are massive. Their might be official scantling guidelines for its construction. Rubber sheet lining of the box keeps it quite..chain slap when sailing

A light rigged overtop of the chain box or a perspex window in the side , is good so that you can instantly view chain stack condition.

Sand and weed collects in the bottom of the box and fouls the drainage system. Some defense against drain clogging is worthwhile

When chain is new it piles neatly, as it ages it begins to stack in a tall pyramid form. A tall box is best.

The chain down pipe should enter the chain box so that any drips of sea water are directed into the box not into your forepeak.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.