Analyze this hull design

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by jksoft, Nov 8, 2007.

1. jksoft

jksoft Junior Member

Please analyze this hull design

I apologize of the title of this thread is a bit gruff, it was not my intention.

Could someone with more knowledge on this subject than myself look at this motorboat hull design and tell me what they think its strengths and weaknesses are, in particularly for work in unprotected ocean work? Also does the powerplant fit the hull design? I will give a little more history on this boat but don't want to jade anyone's analysis yet.

Specs:
    Length: 21'
    Beam: 7'
    50HP 4 Stroke Outboard Engine steered by tiller

Sorry for the pictures but because of where the boat is located, these were the best shots I could get of the hull profile.
    Side View
    [​IMG]
    Aft View
    [​IMG]

Thanks,
    Jeremy

2. Gilbert

Gilbert Senior Member

It has a strong resemblance to a lot of the outboard class racing hydroplanes, so I would assume it would perform very well. I would guess the horsepower would be about right for the boat also. Certainly not over-powered.

3. Chris Ostlind

Chris Ostlind Previous Member

Lot's o' work

I think that what you've got there, is about a 28 degree vee hulled planing boat for near shore work at speed.

In my opinion, to make this boat more approrpriate for offshore work, you'd need to raise the freeboard, straighten out the forward deck so that it does not drop at the bow and possibly add some forward volume to the bottom panels so that it has more forward buoyancy and lift for bigger seas.

My .02 based on the available imagery.

The engine would be fine (I'm guessing about 90-135hp)

4. jksoft

jksoft Junior Member

Thanks for the input. That is actually a 50HP 4 stroke Mercury engine; judging by both comments so far it seems it might be a bit underpowered.

This boat and many like it but none exactly the same are used regularly by the local fishermen to fish in both near shore waters as well as offshore waters sometimes as far as 10-15 miles off shore or even further. I would like to use a boat like this for waterskiing, diving and fishing in the waters around island. I have met the person who built this boat and am considering either purchasing this one or helping him build one like it.

I like the suggestions for making it more offshore capable. I was also thinking maybe two engines would be a good idea although here the engine is the majority of the cost of the boat so two might be cost prohibitive.

Jeremy

5. Chris Ostlind

Chris Ostlind Previous Member

Hi Jeremy,

Not necessarily underpowered, depending on total boat displacement and the speeds which you wish to achieve with said load.

If you do get a second engine, all you will need is a small, trolling style engine for really slow motoring, such as you would do when trolling for fish. That engine (2-25 hp) will also be plenty to get you home should the larger one fail (in most conditions) although it will be slower going.

Take a marine band radio with you anyway, just to make sure.

Let us know how it goes for you when you get your project rolling.

Chris

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.