An upside down boat is bad.... unless....

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by iWill, Sep 24, 2009.

1. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

Well, Will that is an ambitious project.
    Take what you think you'll spend,and multiply it by 10.
    Time? Same thing.

But anyways,have you heard of c-flex?
    Sold by 250' roll,I can envision using this for an easy and quick way to get your skin.

I helped a friend re sheath (and save)an old wooden boat,and built an ocean kayak with it.

Maybe you won't even have to flip it.
    Maybe support vessel via internal methods,or by constantly moving cross support beams to where they are not in the immediate way.
    Skin it on underneath,support the mold with sand and then lift off the boat with the crane.

But i dont recommend you try this.

also if you google c-flex there's many sites with much info and some movies

http://seemanncomposites.com/cflex.html

Last edited: Sep 27, 2009

2. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Well, maybe not. What you appear to be doing is imagining a cheaper way of building only the hull, which is probably only about 20% of the total cost.

The first thing I would suggest (besides re-reading MissingInActions not so off the topic contribution), is to assume you can build you hull for say..... 70% of the hull cost (time and materials) for the original boat, and then see if you can afford the whole shebang.

From personal experience, its easy to get all carried away with innovative hull building techiques without adding in the rest.

If you can afford something like this, I think there are heaps of easier ways to build big cats without the angst of developing a difficult "take off" like this.

Good luck with it all, however it turns out

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.