please help, my boat has no HIN

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by deermaster, Jan 11, 2009.

1. deermaster

deermaster New Member

i know this is a builders forum, but i figured you all would be the most knowedgable on boat history and would be able to help me out.
    i just bought a 15' 1963 starcraft jet aluminum v hull boat to work on and use for bass fishing and duck hunting. it has a little aluminum tag on the port side on the inside of the transom that has the model, serial no., and the max hp rating. there is no HIN number on the boat anywhere. BUT there is a HIN number on the title. i have asked about this on other forums, and have learned: boats before 1972 were made with no HIN number, but were then issued one after 1972. so since there is a HIN on the title, i assume this boat was issued one, but was never put on the boat. i called the VA dept. of game and fisheries to ask them what to do, and they said they would call back, but never did. so what should i do? i dont want to get in any legal trouble. should i
    1) dont worry about it and leave it without one
    2) make a little tag with the HIN thats on the title and put it on there
    3) call someone else (who should i call?)
    thanks for any help, im a little nervous because i really want to use this boat and do to college, even though i paid only 250$ for it, i wont be able to buy another for a long while. so thanks for any advice, i really appreciate your time.

2. robherc

robherc Designer/Hobbyist

Hmmm...I'd check with:
    1.) The titling authority (but I'm guessing that you already have)
    2.) The Coast Guard...check for info on their website, they're the ones who authorize HINs in the first place, so they're really the final authority for you here ;)

Good Luck

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

The USCG is of no help, this is a state issue. Since the boat has been titled previously, you'll have no problems, especially if it's also be registered. If it's been registered, it'll likely have TX numbers on the bow or at least an expired registration sticker.

The DMV and the county tax collector will take care of you. This isn't the first time they've had to track down an old title and registration before. Just bring proof of sale (receipt), etc. and you're good to go.

4. thudpucker

thudpucker Senior Member

That's what I had to do. Keep going backwards through the owners.

5. PAR

You don't have to back through any owners, which frankly is none of your business, nor theirs. It's been assigned a HIN by Texas, that's all you need. Take the title and bill of sale to whoever handles title transfer and registration in Texas, which typically are the local county tax assessor and/or the DMV. Sometimes the Fish and Wildlife people get involved to verify the HIN, but not usually on a boat that has a title.

6. robherc

I'm not seeing where TX entered into his problem...if he were in Texas, I'd tell him to throw the boat, himself, and everything he owns into the same bonfire....it's easier than dealing with our Motor Vehicle registration dept. sometimes...rofl...just had to go through weeks of paperwork to title a homemade trailer because I gave it too high a GVW rating for a non-titled vehicle, and nobody in the state seems to know our state laws for how to get a VIN & title on it...or who I need to talk to.... *rolls eyes*

Anywise, his state's DFW won't return his phone calls, and that seems to be who handles the titles & licenses for boats there. My advice would still be to cut out the idiots at the state level, and call the C.G. for a hard answer. Preferably a hard answer in WRITING so if a game warden ever gives him any grief over it he'll have federal documentation to back him up.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
  7. Guest62110524

Guest62110524 Previous Member

i would head off huntin fishin , rootin,
    I would tell the ******** you have tried all, i would find a cave and start a moonshine still, right,
    go enjoy life, dont worry be happy

8. PAR

I'm not sure how you can get the USCG involved, it's a state issue and the USCG has no jurisdiction over the matter. It's to small to be considered a "documented vessel" so what possible good would come from send him to the USCG. There's no "federal documentation" he can get.

This isn't rocket science, it's just a title transfer and is done daily in the state. In fact, it could be done all on line.

Texas Parks and Wildlife Department handles the registration and title in Texas, so speak what you know, not what you think you know.

All they care about is if the sales tax has been paid, purchase price, boat description, buyer and sellers name and $30 for the title transfer. There may also be a registration fee, which usually isn't much. Just fill out the form(s) and pay the fees, that's all there is to it.

You can't fill out the forms over the phone. Go down to the local TP&WD office or use one of the one line services (which costs more).

9. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Go buy a set of punches and punch it on. Its likely to be some where on the boat that you hav'nt looked yet, but never mind punch on another.

Mine is just a small peice of paper glassed in, they asked me where I wanted it. I have two HIN positions and only I know where they are. But I would'nt worry about it.

10. thudpucker

thudpucker Senior Member

I got my boat in Florida, after the hurricanes. The guy I bought it from "Said" he got it from the previous owner up in Michigan. It turns out the Guy in Michigan was a Snow bird and the Skiff was attatched toa boat that was wrecked in a Hurricane. Somebody dragged the skiff out of the swamp and sold it to another guy who....eventually I got it.

The State of Florida was going to make me pay to find out who the real owner was.
    I had the numbers on the front of the boat, so I went to USCG, they said it's a state matter, state wanted money so I went back to the guy I bought it from who didnt want to help me at all.
    I told him appearently I've bought a Stolen boat from you....suddenly he began to help me out a little in my effort to get the paperwork. Eventually I found the guy in Michigan and he was kind enough to sign off on it. I got the paper work from him and transferred it to Alabama.

I had a similar problem with a trailer I got from Texas. They dont license them in TX so there was no title. Louisiana does, so I had to go back through the TX owner, and a previous owner, to get a notorized statment that LA could use as an MSO (the Trailer Mfg was long out of business) and got a license.

All that makes you a little miffed but its to keep somebody from selling a stolen boat or trailer. The lesson for all of us is to get something notorizable or a legal state document whenever we buy anything on the used market.

11. robherc

I sent him to the USCG because they're the HIN issuing authority...documented vessel or not...have a read through their "Boatbuilder's Handbook," it's all in there (convenient eh?) Although, now that I've thought about it a bit more, I'd prob. personally just type the HIN from the title on a piece of paper & polyurethane it to the boat right under both info plates...who'll be the wiser?

You're REALLY missing the VIRGINIA in his posts aren't you? I'm in Texas, and I KNOW who to go to in Texas, but Texas has no bearing on a guy & a boat in VA.

12. PAR

My bad, Virginia then.

The USCG isn't the HIN issuing authority, never has been, nor likely will be. They only issue the manufacture's prefix code, that's it (and keep track of it). The state issues the HIN number, period. The state also issues the registration. There's no debate, it's just how it is.

This is still something that can be done on line or through a title company or in person at the local VDG&IF office.

In Virginia the process is handled by the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries. The cost is 27 bucks and forms are available on line.

13. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

But he has a HIN,--its just not seen on the boat. So put it on.

14. PAR

In some states you don't have to have a HIN in the usual location. This was to address some of the restored antique owner concerns about "butchering" a classic with a state mandated number. Typically the HIN is required on the boat, but it can be hidden from casual view in some cases. I'm not sure how Virginia handles this issues, nor do I know if this boat would fall under this category. Seeing as it's not a brand or model that normally falls under this category (though it possibly could if pursued), the Inland Fisheries department may require an inspection and a HIN affixed in the usual location. This isn't a common requirement for a boat that has been already assigned a HIN, rather it's inspected when first assigned the HIN.

I'm surprised there isn't a VA number on the bow. Even if it was sanded off, it would usually leave a stain. I suppose you could go to a lot of trouble compounding and buffing the stains off, but why, it'll have the same VA registration number, for the remainder of it's life. Many states include the registration number on the title, but VA may not be one of them.

I know I could get that boat registered from here, 1,000 away, so I'm sure he can also get it done.

15. Ike

Ike Senior Member

Deermaster, if you want to get this all cleared up with one phone call, call the Virginia State Boating Law Administrator. Every state has a BLA who's job it is to oversee boating laws in their state.
    Charles A Sledd
    PO Box 11104
    Richmond, VA 23230-1104
    Phone: 804.367.6481

He will tell you what the law is in Virginia. The USCG ( who by the way does occassionally issue an HIN, I personally issued 1 or 2 a year) put a provision in the Fed Regs so the states could issue an HIN to back yard built boats and boats built before 1972.

Or call the USCG Office of Boating Safety at 202-372-1073 ask to speak with Dick Blackman, or Po Chang. If they are not there ask for Phill Cappel, He's the boss. Actually anyone there can help you, even the secretary, (Ms Murrell) who probably knows more about this than anyone on this forum including me.

You need to put the assigned HIN on the boat. It goes on the outside of the transom in the upper right corner, must be at least 1/4 inch high of block letters and permanent. On an aluminum boat you can simmply stamp it in with a metal letter stamping set.

For all the scoop on HIN's see here http://newboatbuilders.com/pages/hin.html

1 person likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.