Alternative power for a Jetski Hull

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by pistnbroke, Jan 16, 2009.

1. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

I have just purchsed a $120 jetski hull (Yamaha ) with the intention of towing it to the local everglade system here in Noosa Australia and then cruising the waterways ( speed limit 6 knots) I have fitted it with a transom . Moved the seats forward 8 in to adjust the balance issue and have a 15 inch outboard mount.as well of course fibre galssing over he jet slot underneath ..Ballast may be neccessary for stability .. I intend to use my Briggs and stratton 5 HP outboard but am considerering a 6.5HP electric start 200 cc I can get from ebay and then to fit a shaft to a propeller via a chain drive and clutch from a go cart .( engages 2250 rpm) ...The dry weight is 100kg ( 220 lb)

You all seem so well informed on here I wonder if you have any suggestions ...by the way its called
    Notski
    JetNotSki

2. chabrenas

chabrenas Mike K-H

I'll leave you to worry about the propulsion system. My concern is that 5-6 knots is an uncomfortable speed for that hull - not fast enough to plane properly, so making a big hole in the water. I suspect that you could putter around the swamp at 3-4 knots without needing as much as 5hp (I'm thinking back to the Seagull-powered tenders of my youth).

3. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Hi pistnbroke,

A typical Yamaha Waverunner would be 10 feet or so on the waterline, and will start riding up on its bow wave at four to five knots. In that attitude it'll likely be uncomfortable and hard to steer, and will start to drag a substantial wake behind it. It won't level out and run nicely until 12-15 knots, maybe more.

If you stay below 4 knots or so, as chabrenas says, you'll only need a tiny engine, 5 hp would be more than plenty, and it should run smoothly and without much fuss. An air-cooled Briggs might be a bit noisy for wildlife watching though.

4. robherc

robherc Designer/Hobbyist

Heck, with a 4knot speed limit before you start losing efficiency, I'd be tempted to throw a deep cycle battery in for ballast, and run a trolling motor off it! Plus you'd get the (big) benefit of running in near silence, so wildlife won't even hear you coming!

5. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

Well I have got a seagull ..useless thing and too difficult to handle in the limited space....speed limit is 6 Knots ....also have minkota but 3 mph is all it does on my canoe so gets tedious to go any distance . .. a 20 hp Tohatsu would get it to shift .....but I dont want to tear about nose skywards!

Really needs a system that put the weight nearer the front hence the thought of a 6.5hp and a propeller shaft driving an easy to get right hand prop ..clutch and bike chain drive at about 2 to 1 . Motor is US$ 150 electric start and battery inc ! I have the clutch (new) and a lathe...

its 9 feet long ( 2.7m)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.