An Odd Viking Request

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by JeffNeal12, Mar 12, 2007.

1. JeffNeal12

JeffNeal12 Junior Member

Unfortunately, this is NOT a good thing. A very dear friend of mine suddenly died this weekend.
    Ed was a warrior in his own right and a true friend. One of his wishes was a viking funeral. See "The Thirteenth Warrior" for a cheap hollywood version of what i am talking about.
    Another good friend of mine, a VERY good hand at wood, and friends are planning on making such a ship, albeit small, for just such a funeral.
    Anybody have a clue where to find such info? Time is of an essence as the plans are laid for March 31 and we have to get a c. six foot replica ship built in the mean time.
    Any help wold be greatly appreciated. I know Ed would love to know all this fuss is about him!
    He was truely a great guy.

jeff

2. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

contact walruss,,,,,,,,

3. JeffNeal12

JeffNeal12 Junior Member

I looked through the member list and found no walruss,,,,,,, any idea how to contact him?

jeff

4. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

5. Poida

Poida Senior Member

Raggi I thought you were a Viking.

Jeff I'm sure Ed will appreciate your efforts.

6. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

I guess I am, and Jeff, I am sorry for your loss of a good firend.
    I think you can make a good looking viking boat maybe 8 feet long with a flat bottom to simplify building and make at stable on a floor? Just my first thought. Something like this without the keel and the lowest planks (garboards)

Attached Files:

7. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Jeff whilst I appreciate Longliners call to arms, even I am not that old! Seriously though Raggi would be your best idea! thing is if your going to do the job 'properly' you will need a vessel which will float for a decent length of time to give the straw etc chance to light! One problem is - we've moved on a bit since then and you may find your local Police etc may not be too happy about launching a boat with an actual body in it and setting fire to it! Whilst I appreciate it is your mate's last request and as such should be followed - only fair and proper! Police etc do take a funny view on this!

If this is the case may I suggest you first get the guy cremated and his ashes put in one of those funny little plastic urns they use for such things! then construct/obtain a small 'viking' style vessel and use that to launch the ashes out to sea!

Alternatively, with time pressing on, does it have to be an actual 'viking ship' - the vikings used any available boat - just so happened that all their boats/ships etc where very much the same shape - only had two simple means of propulsion and the only difference that was needed was size of boat to carry whatever! so obtain a dry wooden dinghy (old - but still floating) put your coffin/urn in the centre surround it with combustionale materials (straw etc), get your priest (well Ed's priest, you may not be of the same religion) to say the 'words' and push the boat out, once clear of the shore, fire a flare into it, this will ignite the straw etc (good dousing with petrol/gasoline helps) watch until the boat burns down to the waterline/sinks (you may need a guardboat to keep away the curious or those wanting to 'help' the injured boat - see your local Police/Port Authority for advice on this) And in true Viking manner go off and have a good 'Wake' with much ale and stories about your friend to give him a good send of to Valhalla! Alternatively there is the view that the great and good were actually buried - in their ships, surrounded with all their gold and stuff and a female slave [ guess you may a problem with that bit these days!]for company! But I think that was not what Ed was about when he made the request!

Hope the above is of use

Condolances for the loss of your mate and I hope you manage to give Ed a sendoff that he requests and so richly deserves!!

8. JeffNeal12

JeffNeal12 Junior Member

Taking this reply in pieces,,,,
    SW, I have no clue how old you are, I am glad you are able and willing to help!
    My friend will be cremated today so with that the problem is nada. As we will be in a very remote area, I think there will not be a problem with "help" or police/game warden.
    As far as a good send to Valhalla,,,,,,,wow, if you only knew this group,,,,, that's sure not gonna be a problem. I missed one of them last night because I am out of state. Too bad for me; great for my head!

jeff

9. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Jeff - might I suggest the 'dinghy' approach then? Seems a fitting end for the guy! Once he's cremated etc you only have his ashes in an urn, if it's combustionable do with it as you wish, springs to mind! Give him a good send off - oh you are - keep it up!

10. westlawn5554X

westlawn5554X STUDENT

err... boat you say?

why not burn a sampan junk? it will sail to the paraworld as good as other and easy construction mean less work and money spend or you really wanna burn a mega yacht for a friend? Sampan need only 3 planks of lumber so they say.

Here something to read on including vahalla... old friend of .....

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.