How is this sportfisher hull?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Skovian, Jan 20, 2009.

1. Skovian

Skovian Junior Member

Hey everybody,

I did this on the free version of DelftShip and would like some guidance. Please be as brutal as you feel is necessary. I'm sorry but I don't know how to make a thumbnail view of DelftShip.

Thanks for the views,

Michael

Attached Files:

2. timothy22

timothy22 Junior Member

In Windows, open the image in delftship, press the "printscreen" or 'prtscrn" on your keyboard (usually upper right area) You now have the screen captured as an image in the Windows clipboard. Open microsoft Paint or other imaging software and edit, paste the image. Save as .jpg. Long way around (sigh)

Attached Files:

3. Skovian

Skovian Junior Member

Hey Timothy,

Thanks for the reply. I knew how to do that but I thought you could do it in DELFTShip. There is an option to save a preview picture and I thought that I wasn't doing it right. Other than that, what do you think of the boat?

If you enable control curves, you can see a lot more detail than with the control net.

Be brutal.

4. eponodyne

eponodyne Senior Member

Be awful hard to plank in mahogany, if you wanted any width to the planks. Lots of twist forward.

You might want to think about just a smidgin of convexity in the forefoot area, you can gain a lot of strength that way. Like 3-5 mm worth of dome on each station frame.

5. Skovian

Skovian Junior Member

Thanks for the replies!

Hey guys,

I was thinking of cold molding it from narrow strips of 1/4" marine ply or something like that. Adding some width to the forward frames sounds easy enough to do if it will make a stronger hull. You might be able to tell that I was going for kind of a Carolina sportfisher look. What about the DWL? Is it about right for the weight of the boat when it's finished? I don't want to build it just to have it sit 3' low when all is said and done.

Thanks again,

Skovian

6. timothy22

timothy22 Junior Member

Ah, now you come to the tedious part-you have to specify the weight and distance both longitudinal and lateral from some arbitrary point near the center of the boat of everything in it including the hull. adding all this up and calculating the moments from the center will give you a total weight and center of gravity. Now all you have to do is move the load waterline around until the underwater shape displaces that much weight and the center of buoyancy matches the c.g. Several old timey books tell how to do this manually, but I couldn't begin to tell you how to do it in DelftShip. Just looking at what you have, it looks a little shallow for a Carolina boat, not enough displacement, and maybe a little more deadrise forward.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.