What Effect Coming Ice Age on North of 30th Parallel Boating?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by hoytedow, Jan 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Climatic, meteorological and economic impact theories and questions related to aquatic and marine activities are welcome.

Is AGC(anthropogenic global cooling) to blame, or is it natural, relating to solar or geothermic cycles?

Yeah, it should have keyed parallel but I never claimed to be a good typist.

Perhaps this is a good place to start.: http://www.isthereglobalcooling.com/

2. hoytedow

Somebody out there has lost their sense of humor. :(

3. WickedGood

WickedGood Guest

The problem is that the Parrell has gone Oblique and can no longer be trusted to be the reliabe harbingger or weather that it has tradionally been.

I lament that it may well cause Rhumb lines to become lower and less resonnant than previously thought.

The whole ordeal is causing globel fuel prices and the cost of staples to escalate to previously unheard of leavels such as those in Argintina.

My reccomendation is that we all Stock up with as much flotsam and jetsam as possible.

Attached Files:

4. hoytedow

I guess it would be the 29/31 parallel depending on how close to Russia you are.

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I'm well south of the 30th, so I don't really care all that much. To hell with the damn Manatees . . . they just mess up perfectly good props anyway . . . :p

6. hoytedow

http://www.savethemanatee.org/myths.htm

FACT: Fossil remains of manatee ancestors show they have inhabited Florida for about 45 million years. Modern manatees have been in Florida for over one million years (probably with intermittent absences during the Ice Ages); i.e., a lot longer than people have lived here. The present Florida manatee (Trichechus manatus latirostris) is a subspecies endemic to Florida. Genetic studies to date indicate that it is not derived from the populations in Mexico or Central America, but more likely colonized Florida from the Greater Antilles thousands of years ago, after the last Ice Age. However, there is no evidence that manatees are now entering Florida from Central America, the Caribbean, or anywhere else. The manatees in Florida today have every right to be considered Florida natives.(10)

So while we are in an ice age there should be no go slow manatee zones. :)

http://www.as.miami.edu/english/wik...ver-Dramatization_of_the_Death_of_the_Manatee

"The most controversial form of manatee protection is the thousands of miles of Florida coastline designated as ‘manatee zones.” Manatee zones are designated by a reflective white aluminum sign, elevated on pilings. These signs must say both “Slow Speed” and “Minimum Wake,” two very mutually exclusive and perhaps contradictory statements."

Attached Files:

7. hoytedow

So, anyway, the Floridians south of th29/31 parallel will also benefit from the coming ice ages revocation of any necessity of manatee zones. It looks like it will be another bad year for manatee. Sadly, it will also be another bad year for snook fisherman, as snook are not cold hardy either.

8. hoytedow

9. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Hoyt, I'm looking forward to the advances of global climate change. Maybe if I'm lucky and the coast line floods enough, I'll end up with ocean front property! Naturally, I'll sell off to Hilton or NASA or someone that really needs my ocean front land, that interestingly enough will have jumped 100 times in value.

The Manatee zones really piss me off. When did they get the right to vote? :p

10. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Ice boating will do fine. The sailors that need liquid water will either get a different hobby or find the advantages of walking to their icebound boats instead of rowing a dinghy.

11. bntii

bntii Senior Member

Why am I always the last to know???

Just reach over the side for a chip of ice for my drink? This sounds like an improvement to me...

Hoyt- house is fine thank you. Though not finished. :(
    Very busy summer and contracts for this winter so no complaints.
    New shop is built and machinery installed/running.

12. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

It is a conspiracy by A/C companies and the politicians they paid off. Global Warming is just a hoax to sell more units to the unsuspecting.

13. wardd

wardd Senior Member

hoy believes in evolution?

14. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

If Florida glaciers will have manatees frozen in them, will they be an off-limits ice climbing areas?

15. hoytedow

Toody believes in revolution?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.