amphibious SUV

Discussion in 'Projects & Proposals' started by rick gray, Sep 2, 2014.

1. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

what stage are you at rick. we need an update on your progress.

2. rick gray

rick gray Junior Member

amphibian SUV

some recent photos of the craft. i have started to collect parts to use air bags and hydraulic rams to raise front suspension . i am trying to get tech help to control the rams ,to act as shock absorbers,with added return adjustable check valve? i will start to install the power rack and pinion steering( 2013 NISSAN Titan) , I have installed it in a cofferdam and added seals and rubber boots to waterproof. . there is hatches that fold down at bow to allow front seating ( access through watertight door in collision bulkhead . i want to design a sliding plexi glass roof in front above stand up helm and over rear door/hatch at transom( this may be only way in? or fold down side door?ramp?) . will start to fab keel coolers in new year? ( built In or OUtside in stainless steel tubes) the rear suspension is shown( will add airbags) wheel wells are faired in to aid plane. and removable full fender skirts cover openings, may vent some trapped water?. see photo of bottom at jet drive intake, hope to have enough planing area to lift bow to some degree( engine is aft of midship) can use fuel tanks etc to ballast aft.

Attached Files:

3. Mikeemc

Mikeemc Junior Member

Great! Always like to see a plan put together, no matter how goofy some think. I've made some pretty strange things in my life that I thought was wonderful ! Keep up the cool work.

4. whitepointer23

Thanks rick. It is an interesting build .

5. rick gray

rick gray Junior Member

amphibian SUV

a crude sketch of desired profile, now lofted in 1/4 scale and full-size scrieves .will get pro artist render when completed. hull parts all made up to waterline, topsides designed buying glass and plexi glass for sliding roof top at stand up helm and transom door/hatch

Attached Files:

6. whitepointer23

Hows it coming along rick .

7. rick gray

rick gray Junior Member

amphibian progress

Brendan: I am now doing the wheel well enclosures, water cooled exhaust pipes stern column . up on wheels now. starting tank top/for double bottom ,almost full length/ removable aluminium tank top/ floor .starting on transom and fuel tank/transom extension for more flotation/planing area

Attached Files:

8. whitepointer23

Thanks rick. Its a great project. Can't wait till its finished. Just keep the photos coming when you get time.

9. rick gray

rick gray Junior Member

Test pilot

BRENDAN: I a getting older, but not much wiser? six years into retirement. I some times think I should not have started this project. i think by time it is ready to go I will need a test pilot? was on edge years ago ,using my old 56 chriscraft 22 ft. it will have some safety features ,. i hope to incorporate enough water tight compartments to prevent total sinking. gas fumes are of concern, but I have had some advice on this from this site. I have to start lofting topsides. windshield. access doors, hatches . sliding cabin top ETC.

10. myark

myark Senior Member

Hi Rick
    You say "some times think I should not have started this project"
    At first when you started you had high hopes and even thought of the commercially viable aspects,
    To determine the out comes add up statistics and that will be the answer on whether you should of started the project or not and if you are uncertain of what are are dong then let go the tigers tail or it may eat your soul.