amphibian

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by richard gray, Oct 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

Water jets, pod and tunnel drives and tunnel hulls are all surface drives,that is they do not operate in deeper denser water like subsurface drives( unless they are in deep V hulls which does help with any type of boat propulsion) which respond to increased propeller rotation more easily and I believe more efficiently at lower speeds and are more pleasant to cruise at a leisurely pace. There are plenty of water jets used in faster craft and they do a pretty good job for the use they were planed for.

Building an amphibian must be.. as they say a very sharp learning curve.

2. myark

myark Senior Member

The Myark design torsion suspension does not press and freeze its rubber cords like the conventional torsion suspensions do, I found the cords loses 10% flexibility when thawed, I have designed the rubbers so anyone can DIY clamp press without freezing and replace cords when worn for $1 each cord instead of buying a complete new torsions suspension when worn out which is the main problem with rubber torsions especially in Australian outback where the market is none.
    Also the casings for the rubber cords are aluminum that can be inserted in box and easily removed or welded to aluminum trailers so no electrolysis and rust, also the rubber cords stop any electrolysis with the titanium torsions bar.
    I made the grease nipple safely tucked away from harms at the back of the axle allowing the bearings to be marine proof.
    You will not find a complete marine resistant torsion on the market.
    Then there is the light weight besides the user friendly assembly.
    I have also never seen a titanium torsions bar, axle and hubs on the market let alone the new design features I have made.

Attached Files:

3. myark

myark Senior Member

You are wrong; also I designed and made it in China myself, there was no torsion suspension in the world that suited my Myark trailer design.
    I can also easily change the rubbers to suit the loads as conventional torsions bounce around with light load that is another problem with old style torsions
    I Love China and find Chinese polite and honest.
    Torsion suspension as I recall on a caravan my father brought in the 1960s that have been copied by EU, USA who many now make in CH these days to cut cost.

Attached Files:

4. myark

myark Senior Member

I have cut the weight down from using a titanium torsion bar, axles and hubs with aluminum casings for the rubber cords, I also reduced the size of the hubs to 750kg but have skeletoned them out to suit 2000 kg bearings in each hub making the system heavy duty for the light load.
    I also hollowed out the titanium torsion bar to save more weight.
    This was capable because of the GR 5 titanium strengths and flexibility’s over carbon steel.
    I have a marine bearing greasing system superior than Bearing Buddies also the heavy duty titanium axles I have also reduced the weight buy hollowing the back insides out that has the grease nipple is safely tucked away from harm’s way.
    The weight savings is over 50% reduction compared to the 750 kg conventional torsion suspension that have much weaker bearings and rust with no way of maintaining rubber cords.
    The marine suspension weight is important for the latest Myark folding trailer barge that is 400kg including the built in trailer system designed to retract as barge unfolds.
    This new 400kg Myark folding trailer barge is 6.m long x 2.8 wide unfolded which can be towed by the smaller car under a factory towing warranty but It can float the average sized car turning this into a low cost and practical amphibious vehicle, commercial marine barge or for leisure for large groups to a sailing catamaran.
    The Myark trailer barge in folded form structure is 1. wide X 1.1 high allowing very narrow road travel as well as storage space.
    The higher the structure is when folded the wider the size is when unfolded so.
    This type of DIY maintained suspension can also be made from chrome molybdenum steel that is suited for common low cost trailer and is competitive in price.
    Myark torsion suspension are more practical than conventional suspension because the rubbers are maintained for $1 each rubber cord, also the rubbers sizes can be adjusted to suit the loads.
    I have also designed a torsions suspension with an adapted independent suspension similar to the rover sent to Mars that is suited for the outbacks in Australia.

Attached Files:

5. myark

myark Senior Member

The Myark independent suspension works similar to the Rover on mars which I have designed the Myark torsions suspension further to adapt to the independent suspension on the axle part of the torsions.
    This design is made for the Australian outback that is similar to the Mars surface also it splits the work load on the rubber torsions allowing the rubber cords to last longer although they are easily DIY replaced for $1 each cord.
    I can also adapt this to the new style larger Myark folding trailer barges because the suspension and wheels automatically retract when unfolding and do not need to be manually removed so the extra weight is no problem for the larger Myark folding trailer barge models that are 10. Long and can carry safely 12 tons that now travel on rugged terrain.

Attached Files:

6. srimes

srimes Senior Member

Dude, myark: *. Quit spamming this thread. Make your own for people who want a floating trailer.

1 person likes this.
  7. myark

myark Senior Member

Keeping the thread alive, cannot see any harm especially when it is about amphibian craft as well as stating when torsions suspension are designed many years ago that can be suited for amphibians.

Pictured is a 1948 Tucker Sedan rubber torsions suspension that could be easily rotated so the wheels are above the water for an amphibian car, as I mentioned if made marine proof as I have done it could be a good low cost option for Richards project.

Attached Files:

8. myark

myark Senior Member

The Manta concept vehicle is the brainchild of Belgium-based designer David Cardoso Loureiro
    In both the modes the concept vehicle is powered by an electric engine. The vehicle’s onboard battery pack propels the set of rear wheels, ensuring a zero-emission commute on land and water. While the Rinspeed Squba has a set of propellers that powered the car in water, the Manta concept does away with additional propellers by using wheels that can rotate at a 90 degree angle when the vehicle is floating. The designer believes that the concept is relatively simple to make and can be produced at a low cost.

Attached Files:

9. Jeremy Harris

Jeremy Harris Senior Member

No way am I wrong about that suspension design. The technique of using four rubber rods inside a square tube, with a square internal torsion member attached to a swing arm was patented many years ago. You did not come up with this idea, you copied it and had it made in different material, that's all. That's not innovation, it's just copying.

I just went out and took a photo of my boat trailer suspension to show that this supposed new idea of yours has been around a long time. The units on this trailer are around 10 years old and they have been available here for at least the last 30 years that I know of.

Attached Files:

10. myark

myark Senior Member

You are wrong
    Rubber torsions suspension has been around before you were born, what’s new?
    My design are more than 50% lighter in weight than 750 KG torsions, far more heavy duty bearings , marine proof and DIY replaceable rubber cords that cords that sizes also can be changed to suit loads.
    I do not freeze cords they are DIY clamped.
    Read my post carefully and you will find a huge difference as the cheap common carbon steel "cob web" ones you show look like as you said…………..
    “Nothing much new or novel in ripping off someone else's design and having it copied in China..................”
    It’s like saying every one ripped of the Wright brothers with flight.
    I designed the torsions suspension to suit Myark “invention” trailer barges if you read my post again.

11. myark

myark Senior Member

Triton (1985)
    It was build for a home build car rally from Moscow then passing Odessa and the black lake on route to Plovdiv in Bulgaria.

Attached Files:

12. myark

myark Senior Member

Westphalen prototype 03 (1973)

Wilhelm Westphalen has build an high speed Amphib with a flat bottom.

The front and rear wheel are retractable in individual compartments.
    The front wheel compartment can be close by horizontal sliding door panels.
    The rear wheels are simply moved up to the rear above water level.

The propeller can also be lowered and raised.

Engine is mounted between the front wheels and drives only the front wheels and the propeller.

Vertical movement of the wheels and prop-shaft is by electric motors.

Attached Files:

13. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

To understand weather a Patent has been copied, you need to know and understand what the claims were that the inventor claimed were aspects of his invention, or his novel and new idea. Every invention or idea is a carry on or improvements on previous inventions and are usually claimed as improvements to previous offerings.

14. myark

myark Senior Member

Also 20 odd years ago a patent lasted 16 years before it becomes public domain, when I started my first patent it became 20 years, however a patent is not protection but a hunting license that can be very expensive “patent is as powerful as pocket” if someone decided to copy.
    A good thing with patent it is a legal document to license for marketing and manufacture.
    With claims they are deceiving which in reality there is what they call “core claim” or the main claim for the idea with all the other many claims worthless, a fish net set around the idea so others cannot pick up on and patented those claims because they are then publically disclosed.
    The most handicapped part of patenting is the strict time schedules to come up with cash so to patent and have limited funds you need to keep idea secret till all the prototypes are made and ready for market to make income, then file a PCT patent which gives 30 months’ time to come up with cash to pick which of the best 90 odd country’s in the PCT to file a patent instead of the 12 months given for a standard patent in the country you live in then you have to file overseas after that time period or you lose the rights, their can be a 6 month extension.
    Another problem is if you do not market and sell product in a country within two years of patent granted and a copycat finds out, he can break the patent legally and becomes public domain.

Here is fine example of a inventr who had his idea copycated

Build by Kean Foo
    It is NOT a Sealegs Cloon,
    At the time it was build the Sealegs was not known.
    Sealegs came in 2003 public with there Amphib!
    Kean started years ago -- the summer before 9/11.

Length: 4300 mm (hull only)
    Wide: 1320 mm
    The hull: is made of GRP

Engine (Sea): Mercury 30HP 2-stroke
    Speed (Sea): 30 kts (WOT)

Engine (Land): 4 hp (12V DC electric motor driving a hydraulic pump)
    Speed (Land): < 5 km/h (estimate -- brisk walk)

Latest modifications stainles steel landing gears.

Attached Files:

15. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

I hate to add to the off topic thread drift, but patents and patent law are a scam. That you are issued a patent means little, it does not mean the patent is valid. To defend any patent costs a minimum of $250,000 and the vast majority that are challenged in court are ruled invalid. The only winners are lawyers.