amphibian

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by richard gray, Oct 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. richard gray

richard gray Junior Member

Watson: yes the suggestions help. I am now confident the drive train will work, but hard to define actual planing mode, due to small rocker keel ,may cause pounding. as usual, add rpm and torque. i have to try to reduce weight and modify planing area, add trim tabs?

Attached Files:

2. richard gray

aqua plane?

what is aqua plane on wheels? even if spinning some drag?

3. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

Aquaplaning on wheels is making use of the wheels as a planing surface. Motor cars do it when crossing water.Four wheel drive vehicles can plane on just their wheels given enough speed. world record attempts at speed have used wheels.
    In my experiment I could move one lever and raise the rear wheels three positions if I wanted to but it was not necessary. just imagine the buoyancy and support from formula one wheels. When the boat is powered on the hull adopts an attitude which lifts the front wheel clear of strong water flow. In my experiment the boat was too small and at least a fifteen foot hull would be much more practical to support the necessary weight. Google johnsonator outboard motors for interesting cooling of outboards. Weight is the killer for many boating problems.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
  4. myark

myark Senior Member

To design and manufacture a one off amphibian vehicle cost a fortune to be legally road worthy and then you have the sea water rust suspension and body parts.
    Why not make a low cost amphibian trailer boat as the towing car components are safe from sea water and you can walk around the car when on water also the car engine can be diverted in many ways such as hydraulics, wheels with redirecting boxes into outboards that also steer if front wheel drive, a direct drive from shaft to a Tom Kane pivotal drive system etc.
    I have a new design I will make soon that cost retail $10.000 including titanium suspension axles and hubs that can make any 2000 kg car amphibious, also it folds in three, 1.m wide X 1.1 high and 2.8 unfolded weighing 400kg including built in trailer.
    It is capable of planning with car on top with a large outboard or a car motor diverted to propulsion or you could have a simple 15hp with a barge prop.
    This is an affordable design that also can be used as a leisure boat or a work platform in the commercial marine including a catamaran sail boat that takes little space when parked or towed on road.
    When car is not on top it can reach 20 knots with a 15 hp out board.

5. myark

myark Senior Member

This a 4x4 buggy that speeds on top of water http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oeJjzdlTuI

6. richard gray

amphibious vehicle

Up here in Canada it is easier to get certified if treated as as a kit car, which i hope to market. the costs are like a custom car build and you could Rat Rod it using all salvaged parts and materials, which i am doing for proto type. the only extra need was welding equipment which was industrial, less than $1,ooo.the glass and plexi etc is an expense ,but shop around helps. your idea is interesting and viable. i want to hit the water on a whim, yet be road worthy.

7. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Yes, it makes a lot of sense.

Can I buy plans and a licence to build one here in Australia ?

8. myark

myark Senior Member

Hi Rwatson
    You do not need a license to build a one off even with a patented idea as long as it’s for yourself.
    However like building a one off would cost you more than $10.000 let alone the gr 5titanium suspension axles and hub cost.
    I have spent 9 years over the past 16 years developing ideas in China; my wife has learnt to speak fluent Chinese for good communications in low cost production.
    As you may know I have designed and built many amphibian trailer boats, however this latest low cost, light “400 kg” and user friendly model is still in none disclosure stage because of the improvement and patents I file myself and can only give a teasing vision.
    Even though this latest Myark trailer barge will have patent, no one will be able to compete with price so patent in reality is a monopoly for licenses or franchises to sell.
    This would eventually allow mass production making the factory cost as low as $7000 per unit allowing room for retail profit although a 40’ container is needed to be purchased, “8 units”.
    The market is not only to turn the average family car affordably amphibious but also for commercial and leisure boating that can take many passengers or large loads especially marine farming.
    The advantages not only low cost and weight but is able to take extra wide craft not allowed on road that becomes extra narrow for legal road travel or minimum space storage and that the trailer is built into the structures and when unfolded automatically rises above the water.
    To get to this stage has cost me years of research and development and lots of $ like one of my other proto type inventions http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3-EsetvqRg that are also in the final stage “so close yet so far” always catch a 22 with ageing catching up

9. myark

myark Senior Member

1957 the year I was born

Attached Files:

10. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

So to summarise - "No, the MyArk Trailer isnt really a viable option - and I withdraw my suggestion to consider it for a potential solution"

11. myark

myark Senior Member

No worries,
    I did make it clear Myark plans are not for sale
    "user friendly model is still in none disclosure stage because of the improvement and patents I file myself and can only give a teasing vision."

12. myark

myark Senior Member

Attached Files:

13. srimes

srimes Senior Member

The tcase should be fine for a while at least. Low range becomes overdrive. You'll be spinning the wheels all the time, if you ran is normal you could select either/or/both with a basic modification.

Could put the tcase behind the transaxle and run it off the front output and the jet off the rear. This would put the engine farther back, probably right over the transaxle.

Did you look for a pto? Running a transmission with a mechanical pto for the jet would be lighter and more compact than a transfer case.

This looks more in reach for most people, a plywood jeep kit:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6jmzr5HPwE

14. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Yes, AFTER I inquired about plans.

What you said first was
    "Why not make a low cost amphibian trailer boat as the towing car components are safe from sea water and you can walk around the car when on water ......
    I have a new design I will make soon that cost retail $10.000 including titanium suspension axles"

No mention of "Catch 22" in that post !!

15. myark

myark Senior Member

You said after I said no plans are for sale.
    "So to summarise - "No, the MyArk Trailer isnt really a viable option - and I withdraw my suggestion to consider it for a potential solution"

How much do you think it cost to develop and patent inventions?
    That’s a catch 22 all inventers have as I have devoleped many inventions including hand tools that I am still developing and patenting till I am happy with design that is safe,
    Alan Gibbs spent twenty odd million dollars and started the same time as I had so for one man wife and two children including a sick mother in law I look after I am doing OK and is only time I get there “Soon”