Project QUIDNON nearing first build

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by NolensVolens, May 16, 2017.

1. NolensVolens

NolensVolens Junior Member

2+ years in the works, we are gearing up to build the first hull. 26 feet, 2-foot draft with kick-up boards up, goes 7.5kt under engine or sail. Private accommodations for 3 couples and 2 singles, salon that seats 12, heads with a sauna, enough deck space for a dance party, etc. This will be a kit boat, to be priced at around $50k. Please check it out and let me know what you think! And if you want to get involved in this project, please let me know.
    [​IMG]

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

If you have accommodation for three couples and seat twelve in the salon on only 26 feet length, that has to be really beamy. I find it hard to understand how you will also include a head and galley in it. Also, for a sailboat of this length to do 7.5 Kt, it will have to be light and have a low prismatic coefficient, which is the opposite of what you describe. The drawing shows a burdensome barge-like vessel.

3. NolensVolens

NolensVolens Junior Member

Yikes, that's a typo! Sorry, 36 feet LOD, 16 feet beam. Yes, it's a barge/scow. It's a displacement hull. It's optimized to carry a bit of freight, up to 20 tons. Based on the scale model, which we outfitted with radio controls and sailed around the marina, it sails strangely well. Don't know how it will do in big seas; perhaps no worse than the average coconut. Here are all the specs.

HULL TYPE: SCOW
    LOA: 37 FT • LOD: 36 FT • LWL: 35 FT • BEAM: 16 FT
    STEERING: TWIN KICK-UP BOARDS & RUDDERS
    RIG TYPE: CHINESE JUNK • SAIL AREA: 1000 SQ FT
    DRAFT: BOARDS DOWN 7 FT, BOARDS UP 1.5 FT
    DISPLACEMENT: 12 TONS • GROSS TONNAGE: 25 TONS
    BALLAST: 8 TONS; WATER 5 TONS, STEEL SCRAP 3 TONS
    CONSTRUCTION: FIBERGLASS OVER MARINE PLYWOOD
    BUILD TYPE: MANUFACTURED KIT, RAPID DIY ASSEMBLY
    ENGINE: 40 HP OUTBOARD IN INBOARD WELL
    CRUISING SPEED: 6 KNOTS • MAX SPEED: 7.5 KNOTS
    WATER: 1,380 GALLONS • GASOLINE: 50 GALLONS
    PROPANE: 2 20-LB CYLINDERS IN VENTED LOCKER
    ACCOMMODATIONS: SLEEPS 10 ADULTS, 5 WITH PRIVACY
    LAYOUT: 2 AFT CABINS, VESTIBULE, GALLEY, HEAD,
    SALON, 2 PILOT BERTHS, “U-BERTH” IN BOW

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

LOL, yes 36 feet will make a huge difference, but still quite cramped quarters

5. souljour2000

souljour2000 Senior Member

Interesting design..I wish you good luck in getting the funding for a production run...I am sure you will get plenty of feedback in here...all of it can be constructive even if it does not at once appear so...

6. jetgraphics

jetgraphics New Member

Any updates on the project?
    Tests?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.