America's Cup

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Guillermo, Feb 18, 2006.

?

Which one is going to win the Louis Vuitton Cup?

Poll closed Jun 5, 2007.
  1. Luna Rossa

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Emirates New Zealand

6 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. Guillermo

Guillermo Ingeniero Naval

2. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

Whiz Bang.....

----------------------------------
    You're ,of course, right Paul-except for one small detail. As I understand it its 60' Moths....

3. Guillermo

Not April the 1st:

SPANISH CLUB WILL BE AMERICA'S CUP CHALLENGER
    New York, NY (AP) - A New York appeals court has declared that a Spanish yacht club is the challenger of record for the next America's Cup, a decision that removes a California club from that position.

The state Supreme Court's Appellate Division ruled 3-2 Tuesday that Club Nautico Espanol de Vela should be the challenger of record, which gives it the right to negotiate terms of the next competition with the current Cup holder, Alinghi of Switzerland. This decision reverses a lower-court ruling that made the Golden Gate Yacht Club (GGYC) of San Francisco the challenger.

The appeals court also gave CNEV 10 months to prepare for the race, starting when it receives a copy of the appellate ruling. --
    http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5gqt1I0a0b1y0uXjLhYgAGt-EjTNAD927K0VO0
    Court decision:
    http://www.nycourts.gov/reporter/3dseries/2008/2008_06433.htm

Cheers.

4. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

yessssssssssssssssssssssssss;)

5. RHough

RHough Retro Dude

Only one or two small problems: One, does CNEV still exist? (Their 'annual regatta' is not on the Spanish Federation schedule); Two, does CNEV have a sailing team? DE has moved to another club so CNEV has no boat or team to sail it.

Other than that ... it was a good ruling. :)

6. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

What a shame! We came so close to finally having high speed hi-tech boats race for the Cup -now its back to the past -too bad....

Attached Files:

• 18-2.jpg
      18-2.jpg
      File size:
      20.3 KB
      Views:
  7. Guillermo

RHough:

What CNEV means...?
    Answer: Challenger Never Ever Valid :D

Cheers.

8. Guillermo

Attached Files:

9. sharpii2

sharpii2 Senior Member

Thanks for the heads up, Guillermo.

A multihull race would certainly make the race for the old mug more interesting.

Maybe enough to get me to drop the bad things I have said about it.

I once considered posting a set of proposed rules:

1.) that the boats can only be crewed by their owners. (10% stake holders minimum)
    2.) that they can only be constructed of the following materials: 100 euro bills, gold, less than 10% steel, and less than 10% carbon fiber.
    3.) the boats can be as large and expensive as the owners wish to make them providing they comply with rules 1.) and 2.).
    4.) All crew must wear at least one tenth their worth in gold during the race.
    5.) all pre race litigation concerning the race must be decided by pistol duels fought by top stake holders of each syndicate involved in such litigation (I thought of specifying jousting, but worried about the safety of the horses)

(The Euro bills are bio degradable, the carbon fiber can be burned, the steel could rust away, and the gold can be salvaged by by the lucky locals, after the unfortunate sinkings.)

At least now there is a tacit admission that multihulls are the fastest boats and have finally gotten the respect they have long deserved.

Almost enough to change my attitude.

But not quite.

10. Paul Scott

Paul Scott Senior Member

Well, it turns out that Lorrie and I saw Stradivarius on 9-2-08, while sailing Amati up to the San Juan Islands and beyond for vacation. She sailed 20 feet from us. Doing what, 8-12 K (?) in 6K on a reach. I've never been 'hunted' by an AC tri. It was unsettling. Her speed is not apparent, until she goes right past you, or you notice that her support motor boats have their throttles pegged. While she is big, she really looks like a big ORMA 60' tri, IMHO, which looks to me like they did a bigger version of state of the art. We watched her sail around for an hour, and the close encounter really got my inner little boy going. The closing speeds are going to be hard to judge, and FAST. The main is SQUARE. The sail material is mysterious.

We have 1 hour of video. We're not quite sure how to get it on the web, so advice is appreciated, if anyone is interested. She flew two hulls. The crew looked nervous, but very very cool.

Paul

11. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Maybe post it on 'YouTube' and make a reference to that posting here?

12. RHough

RHough Retro Dude

The day I was out we were WOT at 21 knots trying to intersect her and could not keep her from gaining bearing ... in 6-8 true. I have no reason to think that the claim of 26 knots in 8-9 true are inflated. 3x wind speed in flat water is deceptively fast.

While she looks like a ORMA 60 on steriods, she has a more conservative length/beam ratio and is *much* lighter than a G2 generation ORMA 60. On the order of 5 tons plus rig & sails.

Were you close enough to hear the noises she makes as sheets are trimmed and eased? Its great bloody carbon sound box! ;)

13. Paul Scott

Paul Scott Senior Member

You can hear her a mile (literally) away. But when we were close there was no noise at all. None. We waved. They didn't wave back. But then, my wife had the video camera goiing, and a couple of their support boats had made a couple of moves on us (but didn't hail), and then they decided to sail right past us. And all the folks on the support boats at least were waving back then. Maybe they came by because our boat's name 'Amati' is the name of the family that taught Stradivarius how to build things. Amati, IMHO, made better cellos and violas. Not many better violins. But I'm a cellist. A guy can dream...

Paul

14. ironmatar

ironmatar Junior Member

Actually i know of a group that does full on jousting,,in full suits of 12 guage stainless plate handmade, TBH the armor and lance are easy, the hard part is training a horse to run the fence and learning how to properly ride with him/it/her, 3 years or more just learning how. :]
    i recently say almost a full page pic of the bmw tri in seattle's paper at speed it doesn't even appear to even be IN the water really and i would think that would be hard to control with that amount of sail area beauty of a boat though. one thing i really don't get from all the posts on the race itself , is why don't all these guys just shut up and hold the races and if there is some question of challenger why isen't that being decided with a race off instead of court decisions, iv read a fair number of posts in the thread and it dosen't make a lick of sense to me why things arn't being decided by races like they should be?
    ironmatar

15. Paul Scott

Paul Scott Senior Member

Lorrie and I have our 1 hour of the Stradivarius (BMWO) on youtube in 6 segments. Get on youtube and search "bmw oracle castleswreath" and they will show up. The youtube screen is really small, so if you'd like better and bigger, give me an email address, we can email you the original video. On a big screen (like a tv) it looks pretty good and you can see a lot of details, like how much mast movement (canting) there is. They look like they are steering her with the sails. And using cant for flow control. One shot
    at less than 20 feet ('close encounters'). Hope you guys enjoy it.

Oh, I should mention the video was done from our sailboat and we were sailing, not motoring, so my wife wants everyone to know that as well as taking the images (fortunately for any viewer it was not me: I was steering and trying to sound knowledgeable- there is a REASON the audio is muted) she had to tend the jib, move from side to side etc.

Paul

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.