America's Cup

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Guillermo, Feb 18, 2006.

?

Which one is going to win the Louis Vuitton Cup?

Poll closed Jun 5, 2007.
  1. Luna Rossa

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Emirates New Zealand

6 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

i remember watching down in Ak when it was on the limit, the breaking carbon makes a most expensive sound

2. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

don't forget Paulo, they can't just chuck in a reef

3. Vega

Vega Senior Member

Well, I believe that Rossa is red in Italian and Rose is Rosa in Italian and in Portuguese...and that's also the name of my daughter;)
    Luna Rossa means Red moon and that's a nice name for a boat (it sounds better in Italian), a lot better than Areva or Oracle or Desafio. That's also my prefered even if there are Portugueses on the crew of Desafio and on the crew of the NZ boat.

4. Vega

Vega Senior Member

They can change the sail.

5. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

yes but changing sails does not stop them taking on big loads of water, and they are not designed for this

6. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

on the other hand this guy is very popular, i hope they take the Louis Vuitton
    Yachting: De Angelis aiming for third time lucky
    5:00AM Wednesday May 23, 2007
    By Julie Ash
    Luna Rossa skipper Francesco de Angelis. Photo / Reuters

Luna Rossa skipper Francesco de Angelis. Photo / Reuters
    America's Cup

* Bad weather delays racing in America's Cup overnight
    * Yachting: Future British team buys Alinghi boat

Luna Rossa skipper Francesco de Angelis will go into the challenger series final in Valencia having learned from his previous two campaigns.

De Angelis and Prada are now in their third campaign. They made their impressive debut in 2000, beating America One in an epic battle to advance to the America's Cup match.

"The first one taught us about enthusiasm and how you approach it for the first time, not knowing much but just having a lot of drive and focus and how that can lead to success," he said.

The Italian syndicate returned in 2003, only to be eliminated in the semifinals. The campaign was marred by dissatisfaction with their boat speed.

"The second one we learned you can sometimes make things complicated by yourself.

"This time I was thinking about that and I tried to make it as simple as I could. Just to have simpler and more clear goals, enjoy the game, keep up your schedule and surround yourself with good people."

The Luna Rossa team looked sound and strong in their semifinal drubbing of Chris Dickson's BMW Oracle Racing. While their performance in the round-robin was okay, the Italians found another gear against Oracle.

Advertisement
    Advertisement

Chris Dickson said of them: "Luna Rossa have improved their upwind sails significantly, they improved their downwind sails, they have improved their starting, their crew work, their windshift calls on many, many levels."

When asked about their huge improvement in performance, de Angelis said it was much harder than the score reflected.

"We have been taking it step by step, working on improving the boat and ourselves. The game itself is complicated and each team follows its own path and is full of smart, talented people. You have to be clear what steps to take at your own speed."

There is also the "Schnackenberg" factor. One must not forget that Luna Rossa have in their artillery Tom Schnackenberg, the man Denis Conner once described as having the best brain in yachting.

When asked who he'd like to have as an opponent in the final, which starts on June 1, de Angelis tactfully answered: "That is a problem those two guys have to sort out for themselves."

7. Guillermo

Guillermo Ingeniero Naval

Well, Desafío is out of the game...:( ....but they did a very nice job. :)
    Now I'll become a great fan of Luna Rossa.
    When I was young I read a book I liked a lot which's title was "Luna Roja, Tiempo Cálido" (Red Moon, Hot Weather). Little to do with boats, as it was an story about the dessert and Tuaregs, but from then on I love the name Red Moon.

LUNA ROSSA, LUNA ROSSA....!!!

8. Roly

Roly Senior Member

New meaning to "box rule"!

[​IMG]

ITA94 looks a radical deviation. Just how would it go to weather?
    Now I understand the term "sled"!

Ever gracious, the spanish team;sad to see them go.

May the cool calm of barker prevail over Spithill's fire.;)

9. Vega

Vega Senior Member

Look at that hull! It is almost flat.
    It looks that it is not only the Open 60s that have flat hulls:D

Seriously, this looks to be a new tendency. From that picture with the four boats that you have posted previously, it looks also that the NZ boat has also a "flat" hull, and they are the winners. I wonder how would be the one from Alinghy?

10. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

sorry Guillermo:(( but you did well, now I want to see LR win, they played that song at their camp in AK over and over, it drove the Kiwis nut
    cheers Stu
    I still don't know your email address, can you IM it to me

11. joz

joz Senior Member

Mini America’s Cup Rule or Replacement of the Americas Cup Rule?

I have just got the Yachting Worlds latest edition here in Australia to which a new boat is on the market which is called the Twelve OD Class, this class is being described as an America’s cup look alike which got me thinking is there a cheaper way of having yacht racing to which gets more people on the water by having a Mini America’s Cup Class Or to totally replace the current rules in favour of such simpler rules like what’s listed below.

What are people’s thoughts on such a rule and would something like this could work and get more countries involved in the America’s Cup Race?

Here is a list of what I have come up with.

The Rules

* Each team shall supply one boat only for the entire cup.
    * The hull length shall not be more than 12 metres LOA Max, but all other dimensions, weights etc is to be left up to the designer/s
    * It can be a monohull shape or multihull shape.
    * It’s to be crewed by 5-6 people max (in any combination of all male, all female or mixed) and that all crew members are to be amateur sailors and the boat must be easy to use and sail
    * No cabin, Open cockpit only, and the layout isn’t cluttered/ing as to cause injury or death or loss of time especially in racing.
    * It’s to be self drainage hull
    * Self righting capability, if capsized
    * Sailing rig/s and sail cloth is left up to the designer/s (be inventive)
    * No power winches are allowed or installed.
    * No engines are allowed or installed
    * Very basic electronic gear is allowed for navigation, compass, depth, wind speed/direction, speed.
    * The use of modern technology such as decanting keels, water ballast etc is allowed and that all appendages underwater is left up to the designer/s
    * Construction can only be made from any wooden construction method, any fibreglass construction method, any foam construction method or any steel or alloy construction method. Note: that Kevlar/Carbon Fibre shall not be used to build the entire boat, but however that Kevlar/Carbon Fibre can only be used in reinforcements or strengthening areas only that has lots of stress can have Kevlar/Carbon Fibre to prevent any damage etc.
    * All boats must adhered to all safety requirements and standards set by the ISAF and their country of origan and country of sailing.
    * The cost of the boat shall not exceed 10 million AUD this includes transportation costs to and from racing plus all other costs that is to be included etc etc as well.
    * All receipts must be collected and will be passed onto the judges for conformation and each team shall sign an agreement to which all receipts are true and correct.
    * A team of accountants will be made up of 3 members from each participating team to which the team must supply a highly qualified that specializes in auditing/taxation to go and scrutinize all receipts. The Accountants shall scrutinize receipts not from their own team but other teams and the accountants shall have that information when they are given it to them on a date to be set. The team shall have 2 accountants checking and the third one overseeing. The team will then report their findings to the race organisers.
    * Any team found to be guilty and in breach of the rules will not only be disquilifed and shall forfeit the next 10 Races (that’s 10 races that held at every 4 years so that’s 40 yrs before that they re-enter the race to which they team will be not able to compete after long periods of not in this type of race.) also that they (the team) shall have their boats seized from them and destroyed and all costs shall be borne by the team as a whole.
    * The designer must supply their plans for checking to see if the boat meets the rules as specified or to have something clarified. It would be advisable to have the team’s designer/s at the event.
    * The race shall be held every 4 years at a different location as so to not advantage any one team or person.
    * All crew members are to be amateur sailors, but all accommodation, meals, transport, team clothing etc etc will be paid for by the team organisers to which a minimum standard of accommodation is 5 star, meals etc are to be the same standard as the accommodation. Note this also applies for the rest of the team (support staff) that are not participating in the sailing itself.

12. PI Design

PI Design Senior Member

Three accountatnts per team! There goes your AUS$10million budget... Nice move insisting on 5 star hotels and food - gotta keep standards up!

13. Paul Scott

Paul Scott Senior Member

I forgot who said it, but they really ARE going to look like Int. 110's soon! Gotta get rid of that pesky transom, though.......

Manfred Curry might be proud- All they need now are some transom mounted water brakes. (Would those be legal?)

Or how about the unforgettable Reinhard Drewitz? The 10 sq m monotype regains it's rightful place among the great sailing machines!!!!!!

Paul

14. Guillermo

Guillermo Ingeniero Naval

As ETNZ tactician Terry Hutchinson sees LR against ETZN:
    "I think the score will come down to how we go with them when it's windy, and how they go with us when it's lighter. Their hull shape pushes them that way [toward liking more breeze]. Maybe 10-12 knots versus 14-16. The BMW Oracle guys tell us that Luna Rossa has definitely gotten faster."

Kimball Livingston's GOT LIVE blog, full report:
    http://sailmagazine.blogspot.com/2007/05/blood-in-water.html

15. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

go www.nzherald.co.nz. dial into yachting or AC there you will find many interviews as they come with Dalton and variosu other Emirates Team NZ people

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.