H-14 hulls used as amas on trimaran?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Bigfork, Dec 19, 2009.

1. Bigfork

Bigfork Junior Member

I spent days browsing different forums and decided I liked the "techy" know-how and information I found here. That said, I am a new member with a good question.
    I have a cherry 1977 Hobie 16 and a an old Laser. I've spent lots of time on cabin cruisers as well. Now I have a different sort of dream. I am a master timber-framer (mortise and tendon) and have access to all the tools to build a boat. I can even do some welding. What I lack is the engineering knowhow beyond the homebuilding and triangle math, so I'm not sure this is even possible without some heavy nautical number crunching.

I know this is totally sacrilegious, but...could some old H-14 hulls be paired up with a Snipe 15, Sea Bee 15, or other hull shape to create a trimaran? May be with a H-16 rig on top?? Granted there would be tons of engineering hurdles (ie: incorporating the inverted tension truss (dolphin striker) to support the H-16 rig). I've even thought about a Hartley 16 (Clark Craft model) as the main hull but that might be getting carried away.
    I really like the idea of the mini high-performance trimaran. The Hobie Adventure seems wonderful, but I wish it was just a little bigger...faster (hiking out of cockpit performance). This dream Tri could haul two, barely sleep 1, and scream right along!!
    Is there something out there like this? I found some boats: Astus 14.1 and 16.1...$$$, Weta Tri...$$, and Windrider 17...$$$. Strangely none of which incorporate wave piercing bows found on modern cats. Also appears like the H-14 hulls would have more volume/buoyancy than those mentioned. I like the afore-mentioned boats, but want to build it myself (false dream of saving money) and encourage a little more custom "sleep-ability" if it's possible (although not required, I want to avoid the cockpit style so typical of sea kayak trimarans). In my fantasy, I use salvage H-14 as amas and build a stitch and glue performance main hull (planing and/or wave piercing bows?) I sail mainly on Flathead Lake in Western Montana. The seas can be erratic and rough; four-six foot irregular waves in a good blow are not uncommon. I know the Hartley has a wider beam and likely travels like a cork as opposed to the piercing wave bow I'm dreaming of, so perhaps a more narrow beamed main hull is better...sleep like a coffin(?).
    Might be sort of an inappropriate post; I don't want to ruffle feathers, but does anybody have any ideas? Hobie 14 hulls and..............?
    thanks, bones.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.