America's Cup Disaster

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by bistros, Feb 10, 2010.

1. Chris Ostlind

Chris Ostlind Previous Member

There weren't any games, B. More like a gift of grace in the matter, which you ignored a few times... and when it was finally explained clearly and succinctly, you looked to pretend it hadn't happened with some kind of mis-direction play.

Please... Won't you just comfortably let it go?

2. Boston

Boston Previous Member

can't say that I was really holding on to anything as I find the minutia of sports is hardly worth getting into difficulties over, I have way bigger fish to fry as Im sure you do as well. My take on Grace is ignoring the incredibly rude, antagonistic and personally insulting posts that I and probably yourself also have to tolerate from some of the less desirables in the squad ( I have a stalker in case you didn't catch it ). Obviously you and I are going to be disagreeing on a few things but at least with a modicum of decor.

I just enjoy the races and what happened some 25+ or whatever years ago still brings a smile

It was a high time for all, both the loss and the stunning climb back to the top

I wouldn't have missed it for anything

hope all is well
    B

3. CT 249

CT 249 Senior Member

Sorry, what in the world do you mean by "not an appendage" and "not a fin"???

What explanation do you think was needed? Australia II was a legal 12 Metre. Was then, is now.

There is nothing in the rule that bans fins, anyway.

I suppose you think that the 'twin rudders' (as some called the trim tab and skeg-hung rudder) of Intrepid were a triumph of design, but a wing keel is cheating?

No 12 Metre before Intrepid had ever had a trim tab, but the media of the day shows that no one called the trim tab some cheating device. Just like Mariner's square stern, or Conner's use of multiple rating certificates in one series (which has never been deemed legal before or since, as far as I know).

Once again, it seems like the thinking is simply 'an innovation that we do is a revolutionary example of design brilliance, an innovation that you do is cheating'.

4. Boston

Boston Previous Member

well lets first establish who actually designed the thing as well as whether or not it was an illegal appendage, and there were a lot more people than just I who felt it was.

Timothy McDonald reported this story on Wednesday, October 14, 2009 12:24:00
    and again

5. Zed

Zed Senior Member

"Now, more than a quarter of a century later, a naval architect says it was a Dutch team, and not an Australian who came up with the winged keel design."

25 years later, well after Benbob's death, well after his death when he is not around to defend himself! Its sounding like a bunch of sour grapes, probably stirred up by the sore losers... no, sorry, munchkins as they became! Face it, you simply never got over the fact that a larrikin sign writer got together the fun tickets to come race you for the ugly old silverware. LOL! Beaten by a bunch of sports nuts from the colonies, oh my how embarrassing!

6. Boston

Boston Previous Member

apparently this angle of a rules breach is far more readily available than the appendage angle
    however I will continue to attempt and look up the official protest and what specific rules it was based on

until then for your further reading enjoyment

from
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/10/14/2714065.htm

7. Boston

Boston Previous Member

well I may not be finding a lot about the original protest but I sure am finding a ton of stuff concerning this design issue

from
    http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/sport/winged-keel-not-lexcens-design-20091014-gvy0.html

8. Zed

Zed Senior Member

If its all true then all I can say is good on you Benbob, Alan, John and crew... you screwed the yanks over at their own dirty game. Well done lads, well done!

But its is coming from a Dutch guy who says he has taken a bribe sooooooooooo?

Anyway, details, details... the important thing is that ugly bit of junk silver got unbolted and moved out of that stuffy old boys club.

9. Crag Cay

Crag Cay Senior Member

I find the case made by Peter Van Oossanen to be quite persuasive, if for no other reason than I can't think why he would be making all this up: He doesn't need the publicity or the kudos as he has plenty of other achievements under his belt. Why would he risk all his professional integrity on fabricating something for no real gain?

http://www.oossanen.nl/a2/index.html

10. Zed

Zed Senior Member

Benbob annoyed the "proper designers" because he was not properly schooled, worked intuitively and often relied upon colleagues to help out with the numbers. At least that is what one designer that worked with him said to me once... I guess he was telling the truth.

11. Boston

Boston Previous Member

from the time magazine article

and who was it who was trying to convince me of the good old honest glory days "before" there was any of this lawyering going on

har har har

Told you I grew up with that crap
    there has been a lawyer sailing on every boat that ever sailed out of New Port

its a tradition
    lmao

I just wonder if some lawyer is going to come along and try and have the Aussies stripped of there 83 tittle

now that would be a hoot eh
    talk about bedlam

this is just to funny guys

ok the fin was not wide enough to be disqualified based on its being an appendage nor could it be disqualified because it was movable although the bolts were awfully suspicious to a lot of folks. Apparently as it turns out it was guilty of most likely not being designed by an Aussie which means

you guessed it

it was illegal

what do you wanna bet old Denis the menace raises a new protest

I am laughing my living *** off over here
    talk about entertainment

12. peterraymond

peterraymond Junior Member

BoatDesignCredit.com

I've enjoyed most of the recent discussion about who should get credit for the cheater Australian boat, although it has been something of a guilty pleasure, since it's only peripherally related the topic of designing boats.

Of course, I was going to mention that, as I remember reading, there was one challenge where the NYYC claimed the right to chose their defender on a day-by-day basis, depending on weather conditions. One boat for light air and a different one for heavy air I assume. Taking the purported variable measurement certificate idea one step further.

13. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Australia II

----------------------------
    Totally out of line for the greatest 12 meter in history! I think the revisionist history aboat the Dutch guy is too bad: Ben Miller(Lexcen) was one of the most innovative designers of the period and was the guy behind the keel-despite the recent coments.

14. bistros

bistros Previous Member

BMW-Oracles site reports RACING ON for today

Race is on for today. ....

15. bistros

bistros Previous Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.