32' Thunderbird by Seaborn ?

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by frank smith, Feb 16, 2010.

1. frank smith

frank smith Senior Member

I have been looking for info on the 32' version of
    Seaborn's Thunderbird. It is sometimes called the Pacific 32.
    The 26' Thunderbird scales up ok but I would like to check my results.
    Even an old set of lines and or parameters would be of great help.
    I think it could be the bases of a nice singlehander.

[​IMG]

2. TollyWally

TollyWally Senior Member

There are two of those in Gig Harbor, birthplace of the T-Bird. An aquaintence of mine's old man built the first of these boats including the jumbos. The word is they are nice boats just not quite as perfect as the 26's.

3. Zed

Zed Senior Member

Don't get me wrong, T Birds are a great little boat... BUT... if you are going to spend the time, money and effort are there not better designs to be had now?

Just a quick example... maybe...

http://www.dixdesign.com/34didi.htm

Just a thought.

4. frank smith

frank smith Senior Member

5. Zed

Zed Senior Member

What do you want in a boat? Why not open a suggestions thread for designs in ply? (I assumed you want ply..!) I am sure you will get quite a few suggestions from this crew.

That MC28 looks like a roomy little cruising machine, the big TBird (going from my knowledge of the small one) wouldn't match the space IMO.

6. Zed

Zed Senior Member

From the web site that MC28 looks like a well sorted little cruiser, I would think that they have all the bases covered if the attention to detail in the web site is anything to go by!

7. TollyWally

TollyWally Senior Member

Matching space might be a sort of subjective call. I've been aboard the jumbo bird and when inside you don't get any impression of being cramped for the size of the boat. If plywood is your thing it's a pretty nice boat. The T Birds are lively well balanced boats that are very enjoyable to sail. Best? nope no boat is, but you could do a lot worse.

8. Zed

Zed Senior Member

It's just a low volume hull, the T26 is tiny for a 26 footer but hey it goes well. No idea about the 32 but I can't see where the space would come from in the scale up. I am sure she is OK but personally if I where going to the effort I would put my money into the Didi first. The MC28 looks good for a cruiser but its a different kettle of fish all together, at a guess I'd say that the big TBird would sail right past it.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.