inovation in sailing

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by urban1, Mar 30, 2007.

1. urban1

urban1 New Member

Hello from Croatia, the most beautiful country for sailing ( 1054 islands )

One question. I have few good ideas for improving some sistem on the sailing boats. If somebody now some adress who are maybe interested let me now.
    rene

2. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Who to go to depends on the exact part of the sailboat your idea applies to.
    I went through this with Harken, involving a winch design. The winch I developed had five ratios and about 99% efficiency, with three moving parts.
    The presentation included many precise drawings and a non-disclosure document. The document was signed by Harken before they ever saw my idea. It said that they could look at the idea, but couldn't tell anyone about it or use the idea without my permission.
    Is this what you want to do?

Alan

3. pragmatron

pragmatron New Member

Kernmantle mousetrap

I am curious how that could apply to a running rigging design- for a specific bit of rigging, that is. Only contraptions and whatnot can be patented and rigging configurations are public domain, right? Is there a good resource for generic non-disclosure agreements?

4. terhohalme

terhohalme BEng Boat Technology

Finnish Archibelgo has only 40 000 islands...

5. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Nondisclosure agreements can be found online. A running rigging design could be patented, as long as it was original and useful. If it's already in the public domain or patented by someone else, one could not prove originality.

Alan

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.