Amateur boat building in South Africa

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by Manie B, Nov 6, 2008.

1. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Manie.

There should be a law against those small boats.

2. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Fanie those are beeeeg boats

these are small boats :D :D :D

Attached Files:

3. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

We have got good weather in South Africa

we too should be at the water

http://koti.kapsi.fi/hvartial/oss3/gallery/gallery.htm

how on earth are we going to get the children outside :(

if we can start them young we could have a boating industry of note as they grow up and come to love boating - once a boater you are hooked - think of all the prospective customers in say 10 years time

Attached Files:

4. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Alas I rest my case

i lost the pissimg in the wind contest :mad:

5. masalai

masalai masalai

Manie make sure no one is standing to the windward of you when they piss... I just get well to windward and watch who gets wet and who falls overboard, - but falling down pissing with laughter can be dangerous.....

6. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Good grief Manie that green thing.

When I was a kid they used to wash clothes in them.

That guy must be very, very desperate.

7. Wynand N

Wynand N Retired Steelboatbuilder

I can use that as a porta potti in the Lightning and it can double up as a dinghy..:D

8. Proton

Proton New Member

Hello Manie,

Do not worry -- the same goes for all the people building privately their cars, aircraft, gliders, boats, sailboats and whatever else to fly, drive and move through water. Many years I was related to aerospace sector and could observe what you mentioned in your first post. For some time I am related to yachting sector and observe the same but on the other hand however very positive factor is in the fact that there is growing number of the people who want to build the boats from the plans, DIY kits or various Stitch & Glue kits. Maybe I am wrong but in my opinion this is emerging market.

I have always liked to observe the people's enthusiasm and authentic fun when they design and build their own machines for their private life. I would say that there is market expectation to prepare for the people various kits to move through or over the ground and water. And in my opinion there is big come back to natural materials, as wood, plywood etc. For example -- I work now in the boat yard that has ever manufactured the GRP-made sailboats but this year -- under the pressure of market -- wooden Stitch & Glue DIY kit has been offered because this is very trendy all over the world. I would say that the people one more time in human's history appreciate very nice woods as mahogany, merbau and the other classic woods for boat building.

Best regards :)

P.

9. Itchy&Scratchy

Itchy&Scratchy Senior Member

Hi Wynand

Ek het ook jou post gesien met die japie lingo, ons kom binnekort terug SA toe van pommieland , ek het voorheen GRP boote gebou in PE en gaan weer n fabriek begin as ons terugkom. As jy info nodig het vir jou nuwe GRP lyn mail my op jsdent1969@btinternet.com ek werk nou met fibreglass vir omtrent twintig jaar of so en sal graag jou quesies probeer antwoord, alhoewel ek moet se(sorry daar is nie a kappie button op my pommie keyboard)

van jou photos jy is definitief die koning van die staal bootbouers, die klomp kak wat ek sien hierso ..............:p

Anyway many thanks for the laughs you and Manie provide me - reason enough to keep reading this forum.
    cheers

Justin

10. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Hi Justin
    ja well no fine
    coming back hey?
    I know the Yoooo Kaaayyy is not hot at present
    but things are kinda crappy here my brother
    be warned:(

anyway when you get here let us know where you will settle and maybe we can hook up for a beer or three:D

11. Wynand N

Wynand N Retired Steelboatbuilder

En glo dit as jy wil Justin, ook nie een op my boere bord nie.:D

Welcome back, but as my good buddy Manie said, be aware. We have plenty **** with everything philomon, from squatters right down to parliament (no pun intended). Add to that the crappy American recession that made itself felt right down to the Limpopo and you should know everything is not that well down here.
    Anyhow, I do miss PE myself, although I stayed in Despatch at the time.

Jip, I will take you up on your offer soon and Im always open for helpful and constructive advice/guidance.

12. Jeff kayaker

Jeff kayaker New Member

wooden boat building

Hi guys

Manie, Fanie and Wynand. I read what you guys had to say and I must agree that its difficult to find people building small wooden boats. I have wanted to build a wooden kayak for years as I was given a frame of an old wood covered canvas kayak that I think originated from the Swartkops River here in Port Elizabeth. When it came time to rebuild it the timber was just to weathered and it’s a right off.
    By the way I don’t see any posts for a few years. Did the boat building get under way that you spoke about in the blog?

Regards
    Jeff

13. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Justin personally I think you're pecked in the head coming back. You should drink the English tea, not smoke the stuff :D

Let us know when you're back, I suspect it is going to be interesting. We don't just have criminals to deal with, we have official criminals to deal with as well.

Jeff if I was you I'd patch that thing up and smooth it out. Then glass it over since you have the shape already, rip the inside when cured and replace the inside with structure and flotation foam. If you used the old boat you should know what you didn't like about it - here's you chance to improve on it.

Manie is doing well, his boat is almost ready to be ditched in one of the local water holes, Wynand is also doing well, I think he's into fast cars and fast women on the moment ;) and I'm doing ok from the shoulders on downward :D

My boating project is going extremely frustrating slowly, I started building the workshop which should have been completed by now but since the anc started transmitting their back on white racist movies again on tv the builders grew agressive and developed a poor attitude so I had to let them go.

Who knows, maybe in the next century :D

14. taniwha

taniwha Senior Member

think positive guys it is the only way to get somewhere. In 2004 i started the whisper boat building academy for the deaf www,wbba.co.za. Everybody said I was crazy, it would never work, the government will not help you etc...but it did work. Now I want to start something for people like Manie and us where we ,boat enthusiast, have a place to mess around with boats and talk kak. It is just a pity our country is so big but I am sure it will work out just believe in it.

15. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

May God give you all fair winds and hospitable seas.
    Replace the "," after www and you will get http://www.wbba.co.za/.

Cheers,

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.