Am I crazy? Extending boat's length

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by rendon_6, Jan 16, 2012.

1. rendon_6

rendon_6 New Member

Has anyone ever cut the back end off their boat and added a couple feet in than welded it back together? Or would that be to crazy. I have a 12 ft flat bottom and I wanna 16 ft. So I would have to add 4 foot in and than i would want to add pods to the back.

What do you all think or am I just crazy?

Here it is now
    [​IMG]

Here is what i am thinking

[​IMG]
    Plan A
    I would remove the back seat and cut off the last 1 1/2" to 2" than weld than weld the 4 foot section in, add a few supports and re install the seat in.

Plan B
    would be to cut the the boat about 4 foot from the back just in front of the rear seat than weld the section in and add supports.

Would I have to put the square chimes in the bottom of the piece that i added in on both plans i thought i might be able to get away from the chimes if i did plan a and just had the last 4 foot smooth.

than i would add a deck to the front with a door to store things in and pods to the back.

What you all think

2. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Been there done that with a glass boat a few times

We are all a little crazy !! hardest part id finding the right place to chop it !! Added a metre into the last boat i cut and made it into a really nice boat . was a short fat thing and a terrible sea boat!! Uncomfortable to ride in !bounced around and flopped in a harbour chop .The guy bust wanted a couple of feet but talked him into a metre and changed the motor from a really old omc 85hp to a brand new 90 merc lighter motor , more power and the extra length change the whole thing . more room inside , no more buncing from one chop to the next , and flop went completely !
    An Aluminium boat shouldnt be a issue !just make sure you cut it nicely and straight lap the joins rear inside each join . Riviting or welding the 2 joins ?? string line the keel and make sure you get the line 100% straight when you join it again . The hardest thing is doing the first cut !,Is all done in minutes and you wonder what all the fuss was about . :)
    Plan B would be my option and make the cut half way between the frames so have room to work and be sure . Have you talked with the boat manufacturer and see if you could get a section of the hull pressing with all the shapes in it already or even find a damaged boat the same sort and hull shape
    Me being a glass person i would make a mould off the existing hull and make a glass section witha flange each end then rivit and use West flexable Epoxy the joins with 30 mm over lap each way !

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

They extend ships, so no, you are not crazy.

4. Ike

Ike Senior Member

Frankly I would just buy a bigger boat.

5. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Senior Member

I'd like to extend most of the boats I own. Two of the Alaska State ferries got extended many years ago and 100% successful as far as I know.

Easy Rider

6. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Before you chop and stretch your jon boat, MAKE SURE THAT YOUR RIG WILL FIT YOUR CAR

Very very important.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  7. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

That picture made my day !! Fantastic !!well done !:D

8. cor

cor Senior Member

Attached Files:

9. johneck

johneck Senior Member

Sounds crazy to me. While completely possible, the benefit is probably not worth the effort. They make these alum boats in many sizes and shapes; buy one the right size.

10. The Loftsman

The Loftsman The Loftsman

Yes you can but be careful and extend it amidships for'd and aft perhaps a frame space or so each side of midships, there have been disasters at sea put down to this not being done correctly and has cost life.

Cheers

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.