Aluminum Runabout Design?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by woodmandan2, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

I see at least 1/2 dozen aluminum runabouts under $700.

Some with supposedly good running motors and trailers.

I wouldn't shy away from hedging my bets and buying a boat with a supposedly good running motor, especially if you can test both the motor and boat do OK under full power....and if your motor hasn't been actually run on a boat yet.

You could always sell/swap an extra outboard....maybe for a trailer if you need one.

What tow/carry vehicle you got?

http://detroit.craigslist.org/search/boo?query=aluminum&srchType=A&minAsk=1&maxAsk=&sort=priceasc

2. woodmandan2

woodmandan2 Junior Member

As for tow vehicles I have a '61 Jeep CJ5. It will only do 35 but I live within a mile from an actual boat ramp and then there is a homemade but still working ramp off my neighbor's driveway. The boat would most likely be kept on one of my neighbor's lifts. It should only need to be put in once a year.

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

You don't want to leave boats like these in the water. If at the water's edge, you can leave it on a simple dolly and hand wheel it in, when you want to use it, but leaving it in adds a bunch of complication that simple boats like these just don't need.

4. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

here is unfinished similar project boat in CA

8' Aluminum Lake Boat - $500 (Benicia)

Date: 2012-03-03, 1:47PM PST
    Reply to: hbgfm-2861019699@sale.craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
    Trailer & boat are not registered with DMV.

Seats 2.

Custom project, not completed. Steering is in place.

Need a 5hp to 18hp outboard.

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

An 8 foot boat suited to an 18hp outboard ? Holy Guacamoley......

6. CoronadoRob

CoronadoRob New Member

Aluminum Barrel back runabout

Hello Woodmandan2,

Dan, I live in Maine and I own a Arkansas, (14' I believe it is) aluminum Barrel back double cockpit runabout. In terms of weight, it is a MONSTA in weight. I have wanted to restore it for the 10 yrs I've owned it. I would love to see it restored similar to the images I witnessed on this site. Those 2 images are amazing.

Rob

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.