Aluminum Mahogany Marine Plywood Teak

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by SmithCraft64, Oct 19, 2006.

1. SmithCraft64

SmithCraft64 Junior Member

The boat is a 17ft SmithCraft 6 1/2' at the beam. And the process that I want to achieve: Aluminum hull to mahogany deck beams to marine plywood (what coating if any?) to teak planked deck (what adhesive?) Any suggestions? I've replaced the beams and coated them with marine paint (see my photo gallery). My overall question is what to do from the deck beams up to the finished teak deck. Do I use a marine plywood underlayment inbetween the deck beams and the teak? I would think so at the teaks thickness and the distance between the deck beams is 16 to 20"'s. If so do I coat it with anything? The teak is 1 1/2" to 2" wide planks x 1/4" thick.The lengths vary from 3 ft to 8ft in length and are of Raw cut teak. I'm thinking of using the teak on the bow of the boat and thinking of running it down the gunwhale to the stern @ transom as you have probably fiqured out by now. And the same question apply's to the gunwhale as far as the underlayment for the teak. I have built aluminum frames and installed them every 12"'s that will support the gunwhale, plywood ? and teak? (gunwhale 8" to 3" in width bow deck to stern). I have been told I'm overkilling the whole project. Instead of just going with glass over the marine plywood. But I got ahold of some beautiful teak out of china and want to use it if possible. What are your thoughts and opinions? I'm open to all. I'll post some pics in the members gallery to give you a better idea of what I have in mind. Thanks in advance SmithCraft64

2. SmithCraft64

SmithCraft64 Junior Member

I guess there aren't many builders with experience in teak decking? I'll wait and see. I know there has got to be somewhere on this forum I guess I'm impatient because I'm at a standstill until I can get some current facts and advice on it. I don't want to make a mistake at this point. And be sorry that I didn't ask a professional for there advice. Thanks for viewing my questions does anyone have some answers for me? I would be most appreciative. SmithCraft64

3. Gilbert

Gilbert Senior Member

Your question does not exactly match my area of expertice. I think you could save yourself a lot of trouble by buying plywood that already has a teak face on one side. I think they even make it with grooves filled with seam compound so it looks like a laid teak deck. But I wouldn't bother with that myself. I know this doesn't make use of your teak strips but you could use some of them for trim pieces here and there to set things off.
    If you insist on your original plan I would say to use a minimum of 5/16 underlayment and maybe 3/8 would be better. I don't know what to recomend for glue since I've never glued teak, but I've heard it can be troublesome. Try an internet search for teak glue and see if you can't turn up something. I would use an adhesive of some kind instead of screws, etc.
    I think.
    Good luck!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.