Any tecnical problems joining m/s with cor-ten ?

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by globaldude, Apr 15, 2006.

1. globaldude

globaldude court jester

Ahoy you teco engineering types, any problem with you're aware of, joining, say cor-ten decks to mild steel hull ?? , electrolisis ? --- I think I'll post this ? elsewhere as well to get an answer. I'm about to build new decks on an exsisting mild steel hull .

I seem to recall reading in a Bruce Roberts catalog I once purchaced, that he [ they ? ] was not in favour of useing any steel other than Mild steel for construction. Why ?, I don't know, which is why I'm asking you lot !! ?.

Seems to me, especially on the decks where you're likely to drop something & chip the paint, that 3mm cor-ten would have a strength & anti corosive benifit.
    If money were no problem, I'd go for stainless decks & cabins, as has a friend of mine on his 82' ketch [ it's finished - awesome - twin gardners - powered everything - powerfull rig & sails well !! ]
    Pete.

2. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

Pete
    You can use any standard mild steel welding technique to join the two.
    For future ref joining mild and stainless needs welding with stainless wire/rod.

You are confusing electrolysis with galvanic corrosion above.

Higher carbon steels can have their problems, but for your deck its a good idea to save weight, corrosion reduction is not that significant. Aluminium can be used for the deck and superstructure of a steel hulled boat too. Needs gasketing but is easy enough to do, else you can buy a bonding strip with steel on one side and Al on the other.

I haven't seen a full stainless deck yet but it is certainly possible. Modern modified epoxy paints are incredibly tough and are making mild steel a very durable material in a marine environment.

I hope this gives you some hints

3. CDBarry

CDBarry Senior Member

Cor Ten required low hydrogen consumables.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.