Aluminum hull building cost ?

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by AlexMorozov, Sep 20, 2005.

1. AlexMorozov

AlexMorozov Custom yachts

Hi, looking for proper building company (cost/quality) for new project of aluminum motorsailer 64 ft, casco weight about 11 tons.
    Who can recommend where better to build the hull (county or company ?)
    Any price ideas euro/kilo ?
    Thank you.

2. D'ARTOIS

D'ARTOIS Senior Member

Mozorov, I have seen that you haven't received a reply so far. If you are still looking and for Dutch top quality rather than for price, I can quote you a price based ex yard Holland. I am talking quality that you will find at Jongert, Huisman, Van Dam etc.
    There are in Holland about 6 to 7 casco builders that can produce that quality.
    If you are still on the market send me a private message.

3. mastcolin

mastcolin Senior Member

Alloy hull

Don't want to blow Holland's trumpet too loud, but probably with exception of NZ, you won't get better quality.

Can I just add that given that I presume you'll be filling hull after welding that if the work is average to low quality, you need more filler. At 15-25euro per litre it mounts up.

We normally work on 3mm. But I am currently in China now and it is about 5mm average on the hull I'm on just now. This has resulted in an extra 1000l filler (that's about 20 000 euro extra on price and 800kg on weight).

Check out HISWA site for builders. (business ain't booming just now, they'll do sharp price I imagine)

4. AlexMorozov

AlexMorozov Custom yachts

Thanks for comments, agreed we just launches motorsailer 37ft and had about that 3-5 mm, but hull was complicated doubleneder, so I thing it good result. But can you give your idea about today cost for aluminum hull construction alloy 5083 about 10+ tons, in Netherlands. Any alternative in Germany ? Thank you.

5. Wynand N

Wynand N Retired Steelboatbuilder

Ever thought about South Africa?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.