Bees wax undercoating

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by aboyd, Jul 25, 2009.

1. aboyd

aboyd Junior Member

I was just wondering if a spray in undercoat with the bees wax in it would be any sort of benfit after stringer replacement is done. this stuff that was sprayed on one of my work trucks has stayed goey and water proof for a number of years now. Just its alot of work and any extra insurance would be nice

2. We're Here

We're Here Junior Member

Interesting.

For vehicles, I recall grease treatments of thirty years ago but what a gawd-awful mess that was!!! I wouldn't be surprised if a mechanic would take one look and slam the bonnet shut! Stuff was dripping forever when the temps warmed. The bee's wax would certainly be far more stable (maybe even self-healing to an extent). If you've got a cheap source to supply and spray it, why not? The other thing to consider is that vehicles are so much more resistant to rust these days though.

For boats, what do you hope to accomplish with it? Do you regularly have fresh water in your bilges? Is the surface that the stringers will butt to wood? Glass?

If the latter, it would seem to be a fairly simple matter to fully encapsulate the stringers in FRP - end of issue. I've never built in wood but I'd venture a guess that there is little or nothing to be gained in that venue.

Please don't take this as fact but it seemed that your post wasn't going anywhere and I thought that I'd toss in my $0.02

3. aboyd

aboyd Junior Member

nope, it was just one of those passing thaughts im sure it would work alot better in an alum. hull than a glass one. My dads 24' starcraft is getting on in years now and is starting to take on a little water. reseating all the rivets would be the proper way to fix but for the price of boat spraying it would be the easiest.

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

You'd be much better off using truck bed liner then a wax coating. The polyurethane truck bed liner, will seal up the minor leaks and make a very tough, waterproof coating, plus protect the boat from abrasion too.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.