Aluminum honeycomb for engine stringers?

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by SOB, Jan 8, 2005.

1. SOB

SOB Junior Member

Would this be beneficial as a replacement for foam in regards to compressing where motor mounts are installed?

2. Dutch Peter

Dutch Peter Senior Member

Normally an engine stringer is a build up with a foam core, over lamineted and then, on top a piece of stainless flatbar or a piece of hardwood, lamineted in.

Alu honeycomb is very stiff, great properties on compression perpendiculat to the comb provided it's not point pressure.
    It's good for replacing the stainless steel or hardwood piece, wouldn't use it to replace the stringer as I foresee a problem making the connection with the rest of the stringer due to different properties.

I'm now pro, wait for more reactions.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2005
  3. Ssor

Ssor Senior Member

Your inquiry raises a host of questions. Why do you want/need to replace the engine stringers? Did they fail? When I installed the diesel engine in Bietzpadlin I used black locust bonded to the hull with epoxy and glass cloth. Your entire boat is pushed thru the water from this point and it needs to be as robust as you can make it. I would not try to save a few pounds of weight here. How large is your engine? How long are the stringers that you have a mind to replace?

4. SOB

SOB Junior Member

This is for a new boat and do not want wood in boat.

5. Ssor

Ssor Senior Member

Hi, SOB, black locust or osage orange is probably more durable than fiber glass and epoxy. I have seen fence posts that were sixty years old and still sound. No material is the best for all uses but some are better than others.