Looking for Some Advice

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Ski, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Ski

Ski New Member

Like to thank you all for hosting and participating in in this great forum, lots of outstanding information. I have a 1999 Four Winns Funship 214 (deck boat), IO 5.7 Volvo Sx that's a project boat I'm starting to tear in to. Hoping someone out there has some experience with this type boat and can help me a bit with the construction. I have wood rot in the engine compartment, however the rest of the boat appears to be solid, not a 100 percent. I have searched numerous forums and web sites and all discussions seem to go the same way, take out seats, tear up deck, replace stringers etc. I look at this boat and the fiberglass bench bases and deck seem to be incorporated into the cap. I contacted Four Winns and got an email back telling me the cap, benches and deck are all one unit and he whole assembly is lowered onto the hull and secured with an adhesive. I want to see what the condition of things is under the deck, but it seems like it would be very difficult to lift the whole assembly off the boat. I believe I can do the repairs in the engine compartment with the boat as is. I posted a few pictures of the damage. The area is forward of the transom and the stringers that the engine mounts hasten to are attached. On the other side of the rotted cross member is the fuel tank. The rotted cross member does not support the deck however, there is a gap between the deck and this piece. Take it easy on me guys, I'm new to boat restoration, just need a little direction. Again, thanks for the forum

Attached Files:

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

From the photo it's difficult to see what's going on, other then the obvious water soaked plywood and clear signs of veneer delamination.

The factory is correct, the deck cap, which is the whole of the interior furniture, is one piece. Removal isn't as difficult as you might think and it's done all the time. You really have to want to do it though, as it's a lot of effort, particularly for a back yard guy with limited experience and tools.

I can tell you from experience that you very probably have issues with the stringers and probably the sole, though they may not be displaying physical signs just yet. Usually the boat has more age when these things turn up, but use, care and the conditions it's lived in, determine how well it survives. She likely didn't have an easy go of it for the last decade, probably filling with water more then once, for a long period.

Deck boats by their nature aren't especially well made. They're intended to be a a small step up from the basement market of pontoon boats and other entry level craft. These boats are still affordable and this is done by keeping equipment and material installations to a minimum. They install cheap cleats, radios, plastic fittings, etc. They also skimp on things you don't see, like the amount of resin they use to protect the wooden elements under the deck cap.

If you can supply more wide angle images of the damage, it would be helpful in accessing the amount of damage.

3. breschau

breschau Junior Member

What about fiberoptics? Can be very handy for deadspace inspections. Are they used for boat damage assessments?

4. Ski

Ski New Member

Additional Pictures

Par appreciate the quick response and all the good information. I have added a diagram (sorry about the art work!) of where the damage is, I think if I pull the hatch off the gas tank and pull the tank maybe I can get a better look in there. Gave it a quick try yesterday, however it's really sealed down good and the weather didn't want to cooperate. Also included some pictures of the old gal, nor much but it's mine. I did get the proper trailer for it since the picture was taken. Deck boats here are extremely expensive, even for a 1999 vintage, and that is one of the reasons why I think I want to repair/restore her. I will also pull the transom shield so I can see what kind of shape the wood is in. If you look at the picture of the damage area you can see the air gap, the sole does not sit on the rotted cross member. Construction does not seem to match up with any pictures I have seen on other sites of bow riders or cuddy cabins. if you could expand as to how I would pull the cap/seat/deck assembly if it comes down to that it would be greatly appreciated. Again, thanks much for taking the time to respond and help me out.

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.