Aluminum fuel tanks

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by rico, Oct 13, 2005.

1. rico

rico Junior Member

I don't know but I just found out that my fuel tank needs to be fire tested or it needs to be certified. I have followed the plans. I don't know much but I heard that I need to build 2 fuel tanks, one for burning and one for my own use to get that certification. Can someone help me out with some info? I am based out of Westcoast Canada and I believe that this is the only factor where certification and registration of my boat will be held up.
    Thanks

2. jimslade

jimslade Senior Member

there are tank builders that certify their own tanks. Look in the yellow pages for truck tank builders. they can build you what you need

3. cyclops

cyclops Senior Member

But are they USCG fuel tank approved?

4. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Call up the Coast Guard or Transport Canada and ask for a copy of "Construction Standards for Small Vessels", TP1332 is the report number. The certification requirements for marine fuel tanks are all listed in here. As far as I know, destructive testing is not part of the certification procedure.

5. rico

rico Junior Member

Thank you marshmat, jimslade and cyclops. The guy at Transport Canada told me that in order to be able to register my boat, it needs to have its tank fire-tested. I don't know why he told me that but he was emailing me that Construction Standards for Small Vessels and I am waiting for it.

6. cyclops

cyclops Senior Member

Anytime a fuel tank is to be fire tested. Get the HELL away from there. Let them mail you a report. Some, weird, dangerous, tests are performed. BY design or stupidty. Stay away.