aluminum Flat boat question

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by chris3298, Dec 16, 2011.

1. specsnreds

specsnreds New Member

Do you have any pics of your 15' scooter? I am building a 14 1/2' scooter with no sides. We have the hull tacked together and are braking the round bow nose.

2. carpe_diem956

carpe_diem956 Junior Member

aluminum skooter cat "Alli-Cat"

yeah... let me see if i could get them downloaded on this tablet... my labtop took a **** on me...cant... here is my email and i can email them through my phone...my boat is 15' by 6' wide no sides with a 70 hp evinrude... we used white linex for the deck and works great... we have gone over a couple oyster reefs with no problems... my email is juliusnruca@yahoo.com... hope to here from you.

3. boatbuilder41

boatbuilder41 Senior Member

when you are talking about rake it confuses some people, I guess there is different definitions of rake , performance of a boat very rarely has much to do with how the go is designed ( I'm sure others will disagree with me) most of the time people redesign the bow to get different results, just an example from my own experience, Carolina skiffs are reasonably flat , I bought one new years ago, very, very wet boat for the purpose I bought the boat for, the hulls were flat and it would float shallow, but it also run just like it sit in the water......FLAT.... the problem with excessive spray was the water being thrown ahead of you and your forward movement placed you in a very wet spot, they redesigned the bow several different times . I assume they were trying to prevent the constant rain shower effect. I noticed several bow configurations over the next several years.......they were working on the wrong end of the boat. most of the problem was in the design of the bottom at the last 25-30% of the hull. I took my old Carolina skiff and started at the stern and cut a long v shape starting at 1.5 inches wide and went to 0 over a distance of 5 feet(19 ft boat) I cut the v out of each side and then pulled my bottom back to my chine and classes it back together, and I also added real stringers instead of foam blocks glasses in across the boat, this changed the whole disposition of my boat .it was an unbelievable difference. it became dryer, faster, safer, and a lot better ride . I gained a total of 6 mph with the same 70 HP evinrude that I ran before the change. I was very pleased .I used the boat for oystering in apalachicola bay commercially, I bought the boat new and in 6 months beat the bottom out, after 2 months of being without a boat they replaced it with a new one. in 6 more months I was without a boat again, and on my own........... that's why I had to rebuild it, I made absolutely no changes in the hulls shape except for the rake in the stern of the boat. the problem never was the bow shape or rake, by adding rake to the stern lifted the bow and increased the performance tremendously.and in every way possible, and I thing they haven't actually caught on to it yet........but they may not expect the performance out of there product that I expect out of mine, its all about the running surface and in most cases..... has nothing to do with the bow

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.