181 Marine Power FLJ

Discussion in 'Gas Engines' started by clearwater jet, Jun 2, 2009.

1. clearwater jet

clearwater jet New Member

I inherited this 1977 Glasply 16' jet boat with the 181 4 cylinder motor. Does anyone no where I can get a manual on the engine, as well as parts?

It has been sitting for several years so I changed oil/filter & did a full tune up.

I dunked it yesterday & it started well, but no water pumped through the engine which quickly overheated. I blew air unobstructed through all the ports & exhaust vent. Would that be a shot circulating water pump?

Any info would be appreciated.

2. Jango

Jango Senior Enthusiast

What you have, I believe, is similar to the 3.0 Mercruiser (Chevrolet) Engine, except configured to drive an impeller. Most auto parts stores have repair manuals. CLYMER is one I have seen.
    And yes, it sounds like your cooling problem is most likely a water Pump impeller. They are made of rubber and typically last only a few years. Also, Make sure your water pump Inlet is not restricted.

3. clearwater jet

Perfect!

Hey thanks! Do you know a good parts supplier for it?

4. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

I believe this is your engine. It is a 3.0 marine block built by GM and marketed
    by many others with their name on it. Volvo, Merc, OMC, etc. But it is a GM block--all of them.
    http://www.michiganmotorz.com/Marin...kage (1967 and Later Sterndrive Applications)
    Any large auto parts stores should be able to find parts for this engine. Tell them you want the MARINE PARTS.
    GM still makes them--see here--http://www.gm.com/experience/technology/gmpowertrain/engines/specialized/marine/marine_engines.jsp
    If this does not open just google GM Marine engines for the current stats on the 3.0

5. clearwater jet

Another Question

This engine is still not pulling water in, and does not have a raw water pump, so I pulled the water circulating pump & it looks fine. We poured water in thru the upper large hose (thinking perhaps it had to be primed) & tried again w/ no luck. I can't find any air leaks; all drain plugs are closed. I'm replacing the thermostat just because it looks rusty.
    The engine cooling water intake appears to be in the jet impeller housing. Do I have to have the jet impellers turning to force water in?
    Any ideas?

6. Jango

Jango Senior Enthusiast

Not familar with jets! But, if the cooling intake is in the Impeller Housing, Yes you probably need the impeller turning. Sorry, I can't be of more Help. Not sure if Jets use a diverter to prevent thrust during low motor speed or simply rely on motor [pump] speed to create thrust.

7. old hat

old hat New Member

16 glassply w/ inboard jet

clearwater,
    you have a rare and awesome boat, dont give up yet. I have the same boat and thought it was the only one ever made. i fixed mine up from the dead and what a boat. i have some of the answers you are looking for.
    the overheating, yes the jet pumps the water for cooling, it wont break- the port could be plugged , but unlikley . check the heat exchanger and sand trap for debries and clean- if equipped. are you testing in the lake water or running off a garden hose?

8. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Jet boats use a water bypass to feed water to the engine. If you run it on the hose, there should be a water connections somewhere and you can test if the water circulates. It is a GM engine still in production. All parts are available.

9. clearwater jet

Thanks for the good advice & encouragement guys. Turns out the jet impeller is not turning hence no water pumping into engine. Probably a key broken off. Will take apart asap and repair.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.