Aluminum dinghy/life raft...

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by bobola, Nov 28, 2004.

1. bobola

bobola New Member

I have recently seen a plastic molded dinghy/liferaft with sailing attachments.

I really like this idea but I like aluminum better. Am wondering if anyone has seen anything like this in aluminum?

With an aluminum sailing/rowing dinghy which doubles as a life raft, more space is available on deck, you know that your life raft is going to work when you really need it, 5086 aluminum is durable and virtually maintenance free and initial costs are less as 1 boat does the job of 2.

I understand the safety limitations of a dinghy VS a true life raft in the scenario of launching and righting the thing in nasty weather but the ability to sail a life raft is very appealing to me.

Thoughts please…

2. Dutch Peter

Dutch Peter Senior Member

I do not see the advantage of an aluminium dinghy compaired to a plastic one!

I do however see the advantage of being able to sail your "liferaft". Having read several books on survival at sea, the ever re-occuring remarks are that the liferaft is prone to leaking, always to small and there is the danger of rolling.
    Eventually it al boils down to the amount of space available on deck, preparation of the journey and being able to launch the dinghy when you need it!
    The survival package that's normally in the liferaft has to be placed in the dinghy and has a higher risk of being damaged as the dinghy is used more often!

3. Mark 42

Mark 42 Senior Member

Aluminum doesn't get brittle in sunlight, is easier to attach stuff to, and
    is easier to repair or modify. It also holds up better when dragged over
    rocks, gravel and coarse sand. Aluminum is cheaper than most composites.
    I prefer aluminum for small boats, but it's hard to find certain types of
    boats in aluminum.

I would love to build a Tornado catamaran in aluminum if I were more ambitious.

http://www.google.com/search?num=100&hl=en&lr=&newwindow=1&safe=off&q=aluminum+boat+advantages&btnG=Search

But then... copper would inhibit marine growth w/o antifouling paint....
    I wonder if anyone ever made a Cu-Al alloy?

4. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

Look for plans designed for plywood, especially stitch and glue. The same panel shapes can be used for sheet aluminum.

Steve

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.