advice on best finish

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by terallan, Mar 11, 2010.

1. terallan

terallan New Member

Hi there,

I've just sanded all the paint off of my wooden cabin and primed it with polyester resin, with 10% styrene added. I'll be doing a single skin of 1 ounce matting.

My query is; what is the best method to finish on top of the fibreglass skin?

Do I use a white flowcoat or a brushing gelcoat? I am under the impression you use the gelcoat for the inside of a mould, but can you use it as a brushing top coat as well?

Any input would be appreciated, I don't want to make a howler of it.

thanks

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

If you are fiberglassing over wood, epoxy would be the choice resin. Why are you fiberglassing?

3. terallan

terallan New Member

hello

Hi there,

It's just for a maintenance free finish, no painting and a nice white coat :)

Expoxy! Have you seen the price, I'm a poor working mans boatie, polyester I'm afraid.

Just unsure of the finishing top coat

4. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

There is an old expression in life that applies well to boats too....the poor man pays twice.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.