what are the escape hatch requirements for catamarans?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by riskmore, Apr 5, 2019.

Tags:
  1. riskmore

riskmore Junior Member

I want to modify the wave breaker under my bridge deck that would require eliminating 4 escape hatches. the boat was built in France in 1996 to what I think is a commercial standard similar to uscg inspection over 12 passengers.

It is now US registered so can I operate private and be insured with this modification?

Would this mod prohibit a uscg 12 pac inspection ?

if I remove the 4 there are still 6 more escape hatches and I don't intend to race.

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Insurance coverage is a private contract, so the most the company may ask is to have a current survey and valuation.
    To get the vessel documented for 12 pac, or any other commercial use, it needs to be built in the USA. You can't get it documented since it was built in France.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.