deck coating

Discussion in 'Materials' started by skiffish, Jul 8, 2005.

1. skiffish

skiffish Junior Member

I am looking for a rubberized deck coating, possibly made with hypalon. I applied a paint on coating, non skid, for a charter boat and have not seen where to get some for myself since.

It was a heavy coat, applied with a roller, that came out textured, cushioned and comfortable on the feet. It seems very close to spray on bedliner, but much more cushion to it. Some dive boats on the west coast use it. Any help would be appreciated.

2. yokebutt

yokebutt Boatbuilder

Skiff,

I know what you're talking about, I've used it myself, but for the life of me, I can't remember the name. Perhaps it'll come back to me sometime.

Yoke.

3. Mainah

Mainah New Member

Durabak 18

This stuff rules. I just coated my sole with it and it works better than I imagined it would. It's not real cushy to the feet (OR KNEES) but you should check it out. http://www.durabakcompany.com/marine2.htm

4. skiffish

skiffish Junior Member

Mainah

What exactly did you put it on? Sole? It loooks like a good product from the web site. I am just trying to get away from the sand or walnut chip feel on the feet and gear. Thanks you guy's.

5. seaway31

seaway31 Junior Member

Thee brits used a similiar paint, I heard tell from canadian boat builders. It was not sold in the U.S. for some reason and it was primarily a commercial boat product, fishing boats and such. Maybe some british readers can respond.?

6. BustedKnuckle

BustedKnuckle New Member

7. Cliff Ruckstuhl

Cliff Ruckstuhl Junior Member

I called Sanitred

I called them on Fri and have a sample coming. After looking at ther web site and reading about the product it looks like it would be a great paint/covering for my J 29 decks non skid. I should get the sample this week.

Cliff

8. Cliff Ruckstuhl

I got the sample and it is on a 2" piece of wood. Looks like great stuff for the deck of my J 29. After talking to the company and finding out it will make the deck water proof vs water resistance it looks like the perfect deck coating. I will also form a type of gasket around all the deck fittings but I will use 4200 as well.

Cliff

9. skiffish

skiffish Junior Member

Cliff

Which company did you recieve a sample for? There were two above recommendations. Sounds to me that you are pleased enough to use the product, Yes? :)

Thanks for your feedback.

10. BustedKnuckle

BustedKnuckle New Member

Its good to here from someone who has used this stuff. I have not quite finished the new floor on my boat yet, so I have not tried it.
    Are you using the sanitred on wood or fiberglass?
    I was hoping to eliminate the fiberglass step and just coat the whole deck with the sanitred coating. Please let me know how it turns out. I am hoping to place my order by the end of the month.
    Thanks.

11. Cliff Ruckstuhl

I got samples from Sanitred and Durabak. Both look like they will work but I like the Saintred better. It has a soft rubber feel to it and will make the deck water proof. I am going to ther shop next Wed and will take my hatch cover with me to show them what I will be covering. They are about a 160 miles from me but worth the drive to make sure it will do what I want it to. If you call either company they will send you a sample and info on ther product. What I like most about the Sanitred is it gives a cushy feel to it. I am sure it will be more comfortable for when sitting along the rail in waves when were going up wind. They also sell a small sample kit you can buy to give it a trial run. But on my boat I have know where I can try it.

I think going to see them and seeing more sample's is going to be the key thing. I will post my findings when i get back.

Cliff

12. skiffish

skiffish Junior Member

thanks Cliff

I will be looking foward to what you think will be your final choice.

Skiffish

13. Cliff Ruckstuhl

Deck Paint

I have been giving this allot of thought and have talked with the Sanitred Company a few more times. I did some research on Practical Sailor and they have done quite a bit on redoing the non skid on the deck. They have explored about 10 different paints and a few tred's that you glue down. They have named West Marines non skid deck paint as a best buy. My biggest concern with the Sanitred stuff is it is a permenint thing. It will never come off and I worry about 5 years from now. They are telling me it will out last the boat, but I worry that once it is on ther is no going back. I also got a quote from them and it was $600.00 for what I would need for a J 29. I am giving some very serious thought to sanding down most of the non skid with 60 grit paper and then going with the West Marine paint. It is after all just $20.00 a quart and I might need 2-3 quarts.

What do you think?

Cliff

14. des000

des000 Junior Member

Cliff

Before you use the West Marine paint try it on a piece of plywood to see if the duability is acceptable to you. About 2 years ago I took a 2' square piece of plywood and sealed it with epoxy. Then I roughed it up and painted 6 stripes on it with different nonskid paints or paint additives. I then left the plywood in front of the dock at the sailing club I belonged to. People walked on it, drug carts across it, cleaned there shoes on it ect. I found that the West Marine paint didn't hold up as well as the 2 part LPU paints with grit mixed in. The bits of grit in the West Marine paint tend to break off eventually leaving a smooth surface. I didn't try Sanitred but I did try a generic rubbery nonskid I got from West Marine. The rubbery stuff seemed to hold up but no one liked the yellow/ brown tint it had. The nonskid most people liked was the Interlux grit mixed in a white 2 part LPU paint. People liked the texture and the look but if the rubbery nonskid had been a cleaner looking white, it may have been more popular.

15. Cliff Ruckstuhl

Those are some good points. I relooked at Durabak and have been looking at ther sample and then I went back and re read the article on Good Ole Boat and am now leaning back towards them. I am going to call them to get a quote from them. The GOB article was good and gave good reviews for using it. Since I can get it in gray and it is premixed it might be just what I am looking for.

Cliff

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.