boat buildoff cometition

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by fdmedin79, Jun 19, 2004.

1. fdmedin79

fdmedin79 New Member

I am about to compete in a homemade boat building competition. Basically the rules are not to use anything that was part of a boat before. I am thinking in making a little boat made out of a thin gauge steel sheet or something like that due to the likelihood of everyone else using wood. It would be lighter and cut through the water easier in the race. Does any one has an idea of what internet site i could go or any plans i can get? Thank you.

Felix

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

It will be heavier. You'll have a hard time to find anything with a lower weight to strenght ratio unless it is some exotic composite.

3. fdmedin79

fdmedin79 New Member

Almost done

So far it has taken two panels of corrugated roofing (metal ones), some wood for framing and a bag of concrete to make it bottom heavy. If it floats and doesn't sink I'll take some pictures and post them. :D

4. fdmedin79

fdmedin79 New Member

Here it is

Down below are pictures of the finished product. ;)

Attached Files:

5. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

I don't think you'll have any problems with other boats cutting in front of you in your right of way :D

Thanks very much Felix for the photos!

6. Thunderhead19

Thunderhead19 Senior Member

That's just perfect. Just right. I should get one too!!!

7. GrapeNutsCereal

GrapeNutsCereal Junior Member

awsome, how fast will she do with say a 4 hp? add a jackplate, build frame from 1x2 strips and it will work jus fine. maybe an additional brace in the rear? hrmm oh if you put a motor on it it will need numbers :(

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.